ArcGIS Pro 1.0 constantly crashes

Jump to solution
02-06-2015 03:42 AM
MartinScheiber
Occasional Contributor

Hey everybody,

I installed ArcGIS Pro 1.0 on my Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-Bit machine yesterday an started playing around with it.

Unfortunately it always crashes. After some time I get the message "ArcGIS Pro is not working anymore" and then it shuts down.

I got a feeling, that that always happenes when I try to do something referred to Analysis (e.g. Opening the Analysis Tab).

Have any errors like that been reported already?

Are there any logfiles or other places where I could find further information about this issue?

I have ArcGIS 10.3 installed as well and that works perfectly. I have both python versions 2.7 and 3.4 installed.

Must be some kind of software conflict, since I got pretty good hardware. 

Thanks in advance,

Martin

24 Replies
MartinScheiber
Occasional Contributor

Drew,

my install directory is  C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro,

The other pth is:

C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin

C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\Resources\ArcPy

C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\Resources\ArcToolBox\Scripts

0 Kudos
MartinScheiber
Occasional Contributor

Jeremy,

my pth-file is exactely the same.

0 Kudos
MartinScheiber
Occasional Contributor

Sorry, I have to correct myself:

C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\Support\ArcGISPro.pth

C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin

C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\Resources\ArcPy

C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\Resources\ArcToolBox\Scripts

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Martin,

can you try removing your PYTHONPATH variable temporarily?  If you do that Pro should look for python in the installed dir using the pth file...

Molly, it looks like your pth files are pointing at a different directory than Pro final is by default installed to.  Try changing the pth files to point at the directory Pro is installed to now (by default C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\ instead of Program Files\ArcGISPro\)

Drew, any other suggestions for Martin or Molly?

MartinScheiber
Occasional Contributor

Drew,

the value of my PYTHONPATH variable is:

C:\OSGeo4W\apps\qgis\python;C:\Users\scheiber\.qgis\python;C:\OSGeo4W\apps\python27;C:\OSGeo4W\bin;c:\mapnik-v2.2.0\python\2.7\site-packages;C:\Django-1.5.3\projects\geodjango

0 Kudos
DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi everyone, another thing to try....

Before that, has anyone logged an issue with Esri support? That would be a big help if you haven't done it already.

So, please try removing the toolbox "Space Time Pattern Mining Tools.pyt" from the install directory:

C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\Resources\ArcToolBox\Toolboxes\

You can just move it onto your desktop for safe keeping. Then fire up ArcGIS Pro and see if the crash still occurs when loading the Analysis ribbon.

Thanks,

Drew

MartinScheiber
Occasional Contributor

Jeremy and Drew,

thank you for your support. The hint with the environment variables was very helpful.

In my case the problem was not caused by the PYTHONPATH variable but by PYTHONHOME.

PYTHONHOME was pointing to a different Python installation (C:\OSGeo4W\apps\python27).

Removing PYTHONHOME did the trick. Luckily Python 2.7 keeps on running as well so far.

Still, I think the error messaging for ArcGIS Pro could be improved.

It´s always difficult to find the problem if a program crashes without any message.

"Python is not working!" could help a lot already.

DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello everyone,

Can you let us know the software you installed that set the PYTHONHOME variable? I've tested, and just setting that variable alone does not cause ArcGIS Pro to crash, so there must be something more.

Thanks

0 Kudos
MartinScheiber
Occasional Contributor

Hey Drew,

sorry but I do not remember which program set this variable initially. Is there a way to find this out?

I have a lot of different python stuff installed.

The only hint that might help: I found out that using PYTHONHOME, Python 3.4 didn´t work at all. When I start Python (command line) I get the following error:

Python34_Error.JPG

0 Kudos
MartinScheiber
Occasional Contributor

Just found out that my PyScripter is not working anymore as it did before. Looks like it´s relying on the PYTHONHOME variable. I guess then, that this variable was set by it in the first place.

0 Kudos