ArcGIS Pro 2.2.0 and Python Package Manager

Jump to solution
06-27-2018 11:00 AM
MitchHolley1
MVP Regular Contributor

I updated to Pro 2.2.0 today and noticed the default python environment is now read-only.  The previously downloaded packages I had were wiped out with the new update.  I need to get the package, spyder, back into my environment.  So, I cloned the arcgispro-py3 environment in order to make the install. 

Notice that the window says, "Restart ArcGIS Pro for your environment changes to take effect."

So, I clicked 'Exit'. 

After the program restarted, I no longer have a cloned environment to select.

Can someone please help?

112 Replies
MitchHolley1
MVP Regular Contributor

I suggest we wait on a comment/resolution/workaround from George Thompson‌ and Kory Kramer

MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

I think some people at ESRI are working overtime right now... hope to see a fix in a 2.2.1 release soon.

Andreas_ElmelundHass
New Contributor

Same issues occur in my update to ArcGIS Pro 2.2. Wipes out my previously installed packages and dependencies and leaves me with no possibility to clone the existing environment folder. After the update ArcGIS Pro keeps throwing away the path to the cloned environment. This tutorial is then of no use: The Python Package Manager—ArcPy Get Started | ArcGIS Desktop .  It's nice to see that ESRI tries to improve their ArcGIS Pro software, just a shame that they mostly don't manage the updates very well and that there seems to be a high risk of updating their software. It's so enormously time-consuming:-( 

James_Whitacre
Occasional Contributor

I noticed that when a new env was created, not all the files from the default arcgispro-py3 env were copied over. Therefore I experimented with copying the default env folder directly. I think I found a workaround for getting ArcGIS Pro to recognize the env:

1. Copy and paste the default, read-only 'arcgispro-py3' env in 'C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs' to 'C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\ESRI\conda\envs'
  2. Rename the folder to be unique (e.g. 'arcgispro-py3-username')
  3. Right-click on the folder, click Properties, and uncheck Read-only (not sure if this is necessary, but I did it and it worked...it may still work if this step is skipped)
  4. Open ArcGIS Pro, then Package Manager, and activate the env (Note that a new 'proenv.txt' file is added to the env folder. I am not sure what this does, but it lists the folder of the newly create env.)

However, I cannot seem to install the Spyder package (I haven't tried other packages), it seems stuck and won't finish the install. I am wondering if the issue I raised a few weeks ago could be causing issues: Why is Spyder 3.2.8 not working with ArcGIS API for Python 1.4.1? Note that the default env includes ArcGIS API for Python 1.4.1.

Any feedback or adjustments on this workaround is appreciated. Thanks.

MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi James,

Thanks for posting this. I can confirm your workaround seems to work. Once I manually copied and renamed the default 'arcgispro-py3' environment to my user profile, I could indeed install new packages and make the change of the environment stick in Pro, instead of being thrown back to the default environment.

So I can now finally get to work.

I did not remove the 'read-only' property of the folder by the way, just copied and attempted to install a new package in the copied environment. You are correct about the 'proenv.txt' being generated as well, I saw that too. I haven't tried to install the Spyder package by the way, I just need pyodbc for now.

James_Whitacre
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Marco. I edited my response by crossing out the read-only step.

0 Kudos
CalebAnderson1
New Contributor III

Thanks!... worked for me. Was about to tear my hair out trying to install the utilsolutions package

0 Kudos
JoseGonzalez
Esri Contributor

Just tried this workaround and it worked fine. Thanks!

0 Kudos
ZeldaEls
New Contributor II

Thank you, Marco. Tried all the other suggestions and nothing worked.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Found this workaround to be a tremendous help.

Thanks.

0 Kudos