ArcGIS Pro 3.1 Export Layout

02-24-2023 06:53 AM
StephenKing
New Contributor III

I updated to version 3.1 this morning and have found that I can't export layouts to graphic files when opening projects created in a previous version of ArcGIS Pro. When I try it seems to hang with the message 'preparing export'. If I copy layouts and maps into a new project file they export ok. Has anyone else come across this issue at all so far?

0 Kudos
37 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Stephen - hmmm...that's rather odd.  Whenever there's a major release like ArcGIS Pro 3.0 to 3.1, I do the update the following way to avoid "issues."

1.  Complete uninstall of ArcGIS Pro 3.x
2.  Rename the ESRI folder in the c:/users/<your_user_profile>/appdata/local and c:/users/<your_user_profile>/appdata/roaming to ESRI_OLD.
3.  New install of ArcGIS Pro 3.1

I find this tends to avoid any weird upgrade issues.  Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
GrantDickins_OX2
New Contributor III

Hi Robert and all folks in this thread. I have recently updated to 3.1.1 and the export to PDF/PNG, etc and then crashing the app issue has stopped.  I have been working with ESRI Support Australia, investigating the issue from both ends, but as soon as updating to 3.1.1 the issue was resolved. I now cannot get the application to crash when exporting - I have tried. Perhaps update to the latest Pro patch and see if it resolves your issues. I have no explanation for how this patch has resolved the issue (there is nothing noted in the patch release notes) but it has worked for me. Cheers.

MGT8C2U
New Contributor III

I had the same problem.  Restarted my computer afterwards and it seemed to fix the issue.

0 Kudos
StephenKing3
New Contributor III

Thanks for your replies. I did a clean install renaming Esri folders etc. and restarted my machine. It didn't seem to change anything initially, but today it looks as though it is working fine. Maybe a glitch somewhere!

0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

Similar issue. 3.1 is crashing when re-exporting vector PDFs (e.g. it won't crash the first time, but on successive exports of a layout, it crashes moments after it completes).

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm getting this also

wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

We had a different issue yesterday where it would just give an "export failed" error regardless of export format. Had to make a whole new project.

GrantDickins_OX2
New Contributor III

Yes, same here. Exporting to PDF/PNG crashes the app. PC restarts do not resolve it. The first export generally now works without crashing, but at first it crashed every time. Now it crashes on the 2nd-3rd exports (after revisions) of the same map. So annoying - nothing ever works seamlessly LOL!

wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

@Robert_LeClair  are you able to locate any bugs for these somewhat major issues? I wasn't able to find any but this sounds widespread. The idea that users should have to bypass the (intuitive) auto update and completely remove and replace Pro between versions just to get it to work properly isn't something that any other software on my computer requires, so it would be nice if this could be fixed another way very soon. My work is pointless if I can't export it. Plus, others in this thread are saying that's not resolving the issue.

0 Kudos