Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro map question

05-20-2020 04:48 PM
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

I don't know if this is a simple question to ask ....

So my question here is....how do I add a map that is already set it up and it is in another folder...

So when you start a new project and you need to get that already map and add to the project

For example, you had the previous projected ( A) already created  but it is in a different folder. So when you are done with project (A) and you start a new project (B) .  You had the map from the project (A) and you are in project (B) already.

How do you I grab that map from the project (A) to the project (B).

Is there a work around to do that ?

Using ArcGIS Pro 2.5.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You can connect to a folder that contains your other data

Connect to a folder—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

and add a database in that folder

Connect to a database—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

Is that what you mean Robert Pollock

... sort of retired...
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Yes I did that just before I post this BUT the map does not show up ...I was wonder if it is because of the previous version is prevent me to see it ?

The only way around I can do is open another ArcGISPro  project A and copy the map from Project A and then paste onto ArcGIS Pro Project (B) .

Hmmmm............

0 Kudos
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Robert,

You can also save your map from Project A as a map file (.mapx). That saves all the map properties. In Project B, add the map file to the project (on the Insert tab click Import Map and browse to it.) The map and all its layers, layer symbology, etc. will show up, exactly as in Project A... as long as the layer data sources are still accessible, which they should be. 

PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

That should work !  I tried using import but now you have told me there is another step to do that...

Thank you

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Robert - map views (2D/3D) are stored in the *.aprx project structure.  The only way to get a map from Project A to Project B is the copy/paste workflow you described.  You may read more about it here.  A second workflow is to create a map package of the map view but this workflow creates a duplicate of your data sources.  Perhaps not the workflow you'd like to do in this case.