ArcGIS Pro: Most Cumbersome

07-10-2018 07:18 AM
KelseyKatro
New Contributor II

Who designed ArcGIS Pro? 

It is absolutely the most cumbersome piece of software I have ever used!

It is so poorly designed compared to ArcMap, which is awesome. QGIS is not as difficult as ArcGIS Pro.

I have a strong feeling, if something is not done to correct this piece of shist, it will go the way of the dodo!!!!

It has such a huge learning curve and poor functionality I am sure most will reject it and you will need to keep making ArcMap. 

The whole Microsoft toolbar approach is absurd. It may work on small programs such as Word or Excel, but using it on software as complex as ArcGIS Pro........not a chance for success. My work takes twice as long to do with Pro and I am sure this feeling is not mutually exclusive.

Give me ArcMap or Give me Death!!!!

Tags (2)
87 Replies
BrianWade
Occasional Contributor

I’ve found that if I move all my shp's & dbfs into the Gdb environment, they get indexed in a way that Pro likes. By taking the time to index all datasets (spatially and attributes) within a Gbd I’m able to utilize an increase in performance. A rudimental example would be in a zip+9 dataset of 60 million records, a query selection of zip code 55401 in a gdb takes 0.14 seconds.

In a shp which obviously couldn’t hold that much data due to the 2gig limit, querying 55401 for a shp table of 1.5 million records takes 8.15 seconds. It's a basic sample but it is what it is.

While we haven’t gone all in on Pro, it appears that if all your data is indexed within a Gdb, most processes are very fast compared to non Gdb datasets. Note that we're using mostly vector datasets, so I can't speak to raster data.

However, working with data output from Gdb to a non Gdb format, remains problematic for the moment, but with further experience, we're hopeful in overcoming those issues in the future.

MalcolmMeyer2
Occasional Contributor II

I have had my issues with ArcGIS Pro as well, but say what you will about performance issues, crashes, environment setups, the ribbon...the ONE thing that keeps me coming back is multiple maps and layouts. This feature is the number one reason that keeps me coming back. However, if I have to do anything other than create a print layout my heart starts racing and I have to keep my mouse from instinctively clicking on that familiar little globe.

AlexanderEricsson1
New Contributor II

I just started experimenting around in Pro in the last few days and it seems that everything is there....it runs much faster that 10.6 on my machine.  I do wish instead of the tabs at the top, that we could still have our toolbars placed wherever on the screen like in ArcMap but other than that, I don't mind it at all.  The 64 bit works better for me with Windows 10. If you are familiar with ArcMap I think you should be able to look around in Pro and find the tools that you are used to using in ArcMap.  Just my way of learning software though-just open it up and start looking around to see what's what. 

0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

SHOWING VERTICES WHILE EDITING:

64-bit ArcGIS Pro:

Layer Symbol -> Add Effect -> Add Symbol Layer -> Add Marker Symbol

(Repeat for all applicable layers)

32-bit Arcmap:

Control-V

At last- my pleas for a too efficient Arcmap have been answered!

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

You are always in edit mode in Pro, so your workflow is always available to view vertices?

SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

.... *of* the layer you are currently editing. Not displaying the vertices of other layers in the map.

0 Kudos
AlexanderEricsson1
New Contributor II

All I do is go to Edit Tab>click modify>select vertices>select the feature to modify.  Instead of start edit session, choose layer, choose gdb, choose vertices or ctrl V. It's more GUI....point and click.  Not sure about keyboard shortcuts though...maybe someone can share those.

SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

That only works for the vertices of the layer you are editing / modifying. If you wanted to see vertices of other layers visible in the map, you need to do the convoluted process I described.

AndrewQuee
Occasional Contributor III

That's right.  You can select a non-editable feature and even select Vertices on it, but it instantly unselects it and does not show vertices.  Probably because the tool is actually Edit Vertices, not Show Vertices and Pro realises it can't do that  for that layer so buries any evidence it ever tried.

The closest I could come was your suggestion of forcing it into the layer symbology.  As a dodgy hack you can also set your snapping to Vertex, and not Edge.  As you swish and flick your cursor over the feature you're interested in, Accio vertices!

No substitute for the old ctrl-V option of course, but it may be just enough to get the job done.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can you give us some real world examples of why you folks display vertices with the V key in ArcMap.

After displaying them, what's the next step in the workflow for example.

Thanks

0 Kudos