ArcGIS Pro "Project not found" error, missing .aprx and toolbox.

04-01-2020 11:47 AM
DM_GISServices
New Contributor II

Hello all,

I had a project I was working on in ArcGIS Pro earlier today in which I had a toolbox with a few models, a script, and FME tools. A few minutes after having closed out Pro, I re-opened it and tried to open the project from the "Recent Projects" link. I then got a "Project not found" error with the message (attachment included), "Sorry, we couldn't find your project. Do you want to remove the project shortcut from your list of recent projects?" Instead of removing it I navigated to the project in Windows Explorer and found the .aprx to be missing along with the toolbox in which I had been doing work. I had searched about this problem a year or two ago (a coworker experienced this problem) and was able to find that a couple people had run into this before, but searching now seems to bring no results. I wanted to ask you all - have you had this problem of ArcGIS Pro disappearing projects before and were you able to recover your projects without restoring previous versions of the project's parent folder? I have spent a long time working on this project and would like to avoid having to start even from a recovery point. 

-Max

EDIT: Please post here if you have had this problem too! There does not seem to be a solution at this point, but the more people that can share their experiences having this problem the more likely we are to be able to find out where this problem is stemming. 

Tags (1)
33 Replies
JKarmaz
New Contributor

I just created a new project file a few days ago incase my main .aprx decided not to open. I added about 6 or so maps and layouts. Saved and closed out a few times in between. Today, this new project file is just gone. tool box and backup folder, etc. are all still there. But no backups, and no way to restore. Has there been an explanation from this so to avoid some possible mistake for the future?

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Today It happened me too. I save my project often when I work on it.

While I was working on my project I clicked save button and suddenly ArcGIS Pro showed a popup says aprx project file not found. I tried save as option but then it showed another popup new project file could not be saved. When I checked project folder I saw that project file was missing and no way to create a new project file with a different file name even if my project still open. I checked backup folder and it's empty too. I thought maybe it's about license server connection lost and it will not allow me to save. I logged out and logged in again. But no way, project file is GONE!

• APRX project file is missing, project file is gone. 
  • Can not save a new project file with a different name
  • Backup folder is empty 
  • AppData\Local\Temp\ArcGISProTempXXXX folder is empty
  • No way to restore

Any fix from the Arcgis Pro team?

MargaretMaher
Esri Contributor

I have just logged BUG-000152672 about this issue.  We do not have a reproducible case for this issue, but want to collect information about the problem so we can track it down and get it fixed.  If you are impacted by this error, please collect as much of the following information as you can, and contact Esri Support about this bug.  When you contact us please reference the above bug number.  Thank you for your help in tracking this down.

1] ArcGIS Pro version

2] Computer operating system where the problem occurred.

3] Data Interoperability Build number (open Workbench in Pro > Help > About Data Interability - Build number will display).

4] Is FME also installed on the computer along with Data Interoperability?

5] Which specific transformers are included in the Spatial ETL tool?

6] What is the ETL tool reading from and writing to?

7] Is the input data that is being read local or over the network?

8] Is the output data that is being written local or over the network?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

1] ArcGIS Pro version : 3.0.2

2] Operating System: Windows 11 Education 22H2 Build 22621.521

3] Data Interoperability Build number: FME(R) 2022.0.0.2 (20220518 - Build 22343 - WIN64)

4] Is FME also installed on the computer along with Data Interoperability? No

5] Which specific transformers are included in the Spatial ETL tool? None. I didn't create Spatial ETL tool(s) with FME Workbench 

6] What is the ETL tool reading from and writing to? None. I didn't create Spatial ETL tool(s) with FME Workbench 

7] Is the input data that is being read local or over the network? Local

8] Is the output data that is being written local or over the network? Local

0 Kudos
TI
by
Occasional Contributor II

Perhaps question 9) should be "Is the project file local or on a network drive"?

At least two cases here (including my own - a long time ago now), have it on a network drive.

PatrickSullivan-WRA
New Contributor

1) 3.0.2 (though I had the same issue with 3.0.1 and possibly back to 3.0.0)

2) Windows 10 Pro v.20H2

3) N/A

4) N/A

5) N/A

6) N/A

7) Network

😎 Network

0 Kudos
Levon_H
New Contributor III

Same thing just happened to me.  Not good.

To answer your questions:

1) 3.0.2 

2) Windows 10 Enterprise.  Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044

3) N/A

4) N/A

5) N/A

6) N/A

7) Network and Local

8.) N/A

CaseyFrost
New Contributor II

Just happened to me. I created a new style on my C drive, then a few feature classes failed to load in my map. I also could no longer save the project. I closed the project without saving, went to open it, and the ****ing .aprx file is just gone. WTF

Margaret_M_Maher
New Contributor III

Hello Casey, I am very sorry that you encountered this problem.  Please contact Esri Support, via our webwite, and even if you do not have a Maintenance contact with Esri for your software use the "Log a bug" option, refer to BUG-000152672 and provide answers to the following questions.  Esri developers are working on this issue to find a solution.  Thank you!

1] ArcGIS Pro version

2] Computer operating system where the problem occurred.

3] Data Interoperability Build number (open Workbench in Pro > Help > About Data Interability - Build number will display).

4] Is FME also installed on the computer along with Data Interoperability?

5] Which specific transformers are included in the Spatial ETL tool?

6] What is the ETL tool reading from and writing to?

7] Is the input data that is being read local or over the network?

8] Is the output data that is being written local or over the network?

0 Kudos
BengtDahlgrenStockholmGeo
New Contributor III

Experienced the same issue working on a server folder. The aprx file is gone but the databases are left.
I had a previous version of the project file (with the same name) in another folder so I just copied the old project file into the right folder and it seems to work so far, the database connections were established automatically.