Arcgis pro's Overwrite web layer not updating corresponding portal item

02-02-2024 11:52 AM
Labels (1)
PushapSaini
New Contributor

Hi everyone,

I have an enterprise 11.1 deployment that I am publishing to with ArcGIS Pro 3.1. I have published a set of layers (with global ids, archiving enabled and feature access). The publishing process creates a Map Image Layer and a Feature Layer item in portal and I use the feature layer item to create my webmap. I want to overwrite the symbology of one of my layers and I've update the symbology in ArcGIS Pro. I tried Overwrite Web Layer tool to overwrite the layers and the arcgis server end point reflect the new symbology but however my webmap doesn't. Upon looking into the JSON, I discovered the symbology is embedded in the Feature Layer portal item and the webmap pulls it from there. The Feature layer item in portal doesn't seem to update with Overwrite Web Layer tool. I tried updating the Summary, tags, permissions during the overwrite hoping it'd update the portal item but it doesn't seem to be updating. Can anyone suggest a way where I can update symbology without having to recreate these layers in Portal? I know Webmap has the ability to update styles but that won't be a good solution for me. 

Edit - I am using Referenced Layers and not hosted layers.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Eugene_Adkins
Occasional Contributor III

You may have to remove the original published layer from your webmap and add the newly published (overwritten) layer for the updated symbology to appear.

0 Kudos
PushapSaini
New Contributor

Updating/readding the layer in webmap doesn't seem to work. Even creating a new webmap out of the Feature Layer portal item shows the old symbology. I looked at the JSON in ArcGIS assistant and it looks like this information is embedded in the Feature Layer portal item.  

0 Kudos
Eugene_Adkins
Occasional Contributor III

We currently use server 10.9.1 (for enterprise) and the workflow you referenced works for us. Perhaps it's an issue related to your server version?

0 Kudos
SCRDAdmin
New Contributor II

We use server 10.9.1 and I'm having a similar issue. I am using Overwrite Web Layer to republish a map and feature service with some additional layers. The new layers are viewable in the ArcGIS Server end point, but not listed on the portal item.

0 Kudos