ArcGIS Pro scale based symbolization trouble

05-01-2019 10:36 AM
JasonWegner
New Contributor III

I've recently been learning how to create maps with scale-based symbology.  It's great until I end up with two symbols for the same scale range.  In the image I've attached, you can see that for value '3' I have two ranges, with two symbols, and no amount of right-clicking or double-clicking or sliding anything brings me to the point where I can have just one.  I don't remember creating those two symbols, it's just as if they're trying to occupy the same space.  It's happening in more than one value as well.  In the second example, you can see near the bottom I've got two symbols occupying the same scale range.  All I want to do is have one symbol for one scale and be done with it.

And another example:

6 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Was the symbology setup from scratch in Pro or did you import an ArcMap mxd and its associated symbology into Pro?

JasonWegner
New Contributor III

I did import the project originally, but it was mostly for reference.  I started symbolizing copies of the layers after that.  To clarify, these 'double-symbol' layers only show up after I start messing with them, and it doesn't always happen.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Can you try to add the layer from its source directly in Pro with default symbology.  Then modify the symbology as you have done to see if it still exhibits the same problems.  If this works then unfortunately you would NOT want to use the import from mxd process (Just a theory).

0 Kudos
JasonWegner
New Contributor III

I spent a good long while trying to redo everything in a brand new project, and ultimately I'm running into the same issue.  I can't reproduce the conditions when it happens, yet, but it appears to be related to zooming in/out on the map, and eventually the symbology goes crazy and I get that double range.  I'm going to be vigilant about paying attention to exactly what I'm doing and hopefully I'll identify the cause. That still doesn't tell me how to reverse the effect, but at least I could hit 'undo' and move back one step.

Paul_Christensen
Occasional Contributor

I have had a similar issue.

I set my scale ranges and the symbology for each range, and somewhere along the line it breaks.

For instance, I have

1-5000

5000-10000

10000-15000

etc

and somewhere in my setup, the 1-5000 will adjust itself to 10000-15000 and now I have two symbols in the same scale and I cannot get them to move. I end up resetting and starting from scratch.

I have even tried right clicking on the bar and deleting a divider. The divider is deleted, however now one of the duplicate ranges extends itself to absorb the deleted segment, and the other duplicate remains the same.

Both attached screenshots are supposed to be the same. However, you can see the duplication and missing divider in Picture1. Picture2 is what it is supposed to look like.

0 Kudos
Matt-Goodman
Occasional Contributor

I'm having the same issue: the divisions underneath the scale breaks do no 'go away' when I remove the scale breaks.  I'm using ArcGIS Pro 3.0.2
MattGoodman_0-1706300475753.png

I tried various methods to reset the symbology for this item in the class ('07'), but nothing seems to work. I tried adding more scale breaks, removing all scale breaks (as shown), adjusting them, etc. With more than an hour into this detailed cartographic symbology configuration, I don't want to start over. Did anyone find a solution to this apparent bug? 

0 Kudos