ArcMap 10.2.2 Oracle 12c direct connect crash on adding layer to map

06-04-2015 01:14 PM
PaulAustin
Occasional Contributor

What I'm trying to test is if ArcMap 10.2.2 can connect to an Oracle 12c database that doesn't have SDE installed.

Every time I try to add a layer to the map from an Oracle database base connection the ArcMap crashes and exits without any messages.

I was wondering if this was SDO_GEOMETRY related so I created the simple table below and it crashes too.

CREATE TABLE TEST  (

ID NUMBER(10) PRIMARY KEY,

NAME VARCHAR2(20)

)

Then I tried adding an OBJECTID NUMBER(38) with a unique key at it also crashes.

I also tried a Query Layer with an table with SDO_GEOMETRY and it also crashes.

The SDO_GEOMETRY layers had the SDO_GEOM_METADATA records.

So the question is can ArcMap connect to an Oracle database that doesn't have SDE installed without crashing.

FYI Oracle client is 12.1.0.1.0

0 Kudos
6 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Yes, ArcGIS can connect to database without an enterprise geodatabase (that's the first step in creating one).  There's likely something else happening here -- Contacting Tech Support is the best way to deal with application crashes.

- V

0 Kudos
PaulAustin
Occasional Contributor

I'l get my client to investigate and open a support ticket. I know they had a lot of issues migrating to SDO_GEOMETRY.

There is something fundamentally wrong here where the application completely crashes when things aren't the way it expects rather than display the error that occurs.

FYI it works if I export to a FGDB but not adding it to a layer in ArcMap.

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

FGDB export does repair on invalid geometry.  ArcGIS shouldn't crash, but if it's actually a third-party DLL where the exception occurs, then there's no way to keep the app up.

- V

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Paul,

Does the Oracle database have any of the Oracle Security Patches (OCT14, JAN15 or APRIL15) installed?

If so, you may be need to install the following patch and retest:

ArcGIS 'Oracle Critical Patch Update - October 2014' Connection Issue Patch | Samples and Utilities

If you have the rights, you could just install the patch and retest.

-George

GeodatabaseEnterprise GIS

--- George T.
0 Kudos
PaulAustin
Occasional Contributor

George,

Thanks. I've forwarded this onto the server admins to see if we have the patch or if it can be installed.

Paul

0 Kudos
PaulAustin
Occasional Contributor

My admins tell me the ArcGIS patches were installed.

I downloaded a 10.3.1 trial on my local machine and it seems to work without crashing.

My client is in the process of installing 10.3.1 so I'm not going to spend more time on 10.2.2.

0 Kudos