ArcMap 10.5.1 Properties slow

09-04-2017 10:42 AM
JulianJungfels1
New Contributor II

Hi, clicking on  "Properties" results in a wait time of 10 Seconds. ArcMap 10.5.1. Set up new MXD, no big files just aerial photos and shome shapes. 

69 Replies
MarkusWall1
New Contributor III

Hi Michael,

we do use ArcGIS Pro for some work, but we are dependant to some add-ons for ArcMap that don't exist for ArcGIS Pro yet. So ArcGIS Pro is not always an option.

Greets

0 Kudos
DJurgella
New Contributor III

We had this same problem after an upgrade to 10.6.1 on Windows 10 machines.  ArcMap properties, layer properties, and certain tabs/dialogs within the properties dialogs were extremely slow to open.  On one machine opening layer properties would take almost a minute.  After working with esri support, we discovered the issue to be installed fonts.  The worst machine had ~2000 installed fonts.  We saved the esri fonts, deleted all the non-default fonts (Windows automatically disallowed deleting protected operating system fonts), reinstalled the esri fonts, and the problem was resolved.

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Dan:

Can you provide the procedure that you used for determining the number of fonts installed on a workstation?  It would be nice to know an additional trouble-shooting technique.

0 Kudos
DJurgella
New Contributor III

In Windows 10 search type "installed fonts" which should give you a "View installed fonts" result, click that and the installed fonts folder will open.  At the bottom left it should say how many items are in the folder. You can also select all and it will say the number of items selected.  This isn't exactly the total number of fonts because some of the selected items will be font families and will have multiple fonts within them, but it will give a rough idea of at least how many are on the machine.

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

So after the cleanup with ESRI's help, how many fonts are now on the problematic computer that is running much faster?

0 Kudos
DJurgella
New Contributor III

Esri installs 73 fonts, and after cleanup and reinstalling esri's, I think there were 178 on the machine.  I haven't done any additional testing, so I have no good of idea of what the threshold is for when performance starts to degrade, or if there are certain fonts or font families that are especially problematic for ArcMap.

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for the baseline number to compare to if I am seeing slowness with ArcMap properties.  My computer is performing fine with 255 installed fonts which is still no where near the ~ 2,000 fonts that were installed on your problematic computer.

0 Kudos
NW_-_CarolRay__GISS_
New Contributor

Worked for me! Thank you so much! I had over 2,000 fonts that I kept reinstalling even to new computers.  ArcGIS is now working like it should.  I can’t thank you enough!            

0 Kudos
NW_-_CarolRay__GISS_
New Contributor

Deleted over 1,000 fonts and it fixed it!  Before, in ArcMap 10.5.1 64bit, it would take exactly 1 minute and 50 seconds for the layer properties box to appear after double-clicking on the layer in the Table of Contents.  Now it takes 5.3 seconds.  The grid properties and text properties open very fast now too! I am in heaven! I've been putting up with this problem for months, even in the older versions because I use CorelDraw and had WAY TOO MANY FONTS in the C:\Windows\Fonts folder.  First I backed up all the fonts to a new folder, then in the C:\Windows\Fonts  folder, I selected all the fonts that started with "ESRI ..." and then inverted the selection, and hit delete.  Windows will not let you delete the system fonts, so just hit okay when the warning box comes up and the box that says to quit telling you.  I went from over 2,000 fonts in there to 365!

IT WORKED.

I think ESRI should have it's own font management application to go along with ArcGIS, and a font folder just for ArcGIS to solve this problem.  

0 Kudos
ColinRicks
New Contributor II

Got this message recently from ESRI support:

The status of Esri BUG-000113336 - Layer Properties open slower in ArcMap 10.5.1 and 10.6 compared to earlier versions. - that you have been associated with has been changed to Implemented.

Public Explanation:                                      

Version Fixed: 10.7.0