ArcMAP 10.5 Slow Performance

02-19-2017 09:27 PM
TerryAdams
New Contributor III

Hello All,

We have just updated from ArcGIS 10.3 to ArcGIS 10.5.

Suffering from very slow performance in ArcMAP now with certain things.  I've completely re-made MXD's from scratch under 10.5 that I had under 10.3 to remove possible changeover issues.

When I simply tick on/off layers it takes a long time (1 minute or more) to update the display or give me control of ArcMap back.

When I save edits - long time to do that (2 minutes or more) 

When I change a layer from editable to not editable - long time (1 minute) to do that.

I'd have maybe 10 layers in the MXD with JPEG 2000 aerial photo loaded in - but not displayed. 

Arc Catalog displays layers quickly - as you'd expect.   Loading one or 2 layers into ArcMAP also seems ok.  But more than that *really* seems to slow it down.  I never had extremely slow responses like this under 10.3.

We're putting in a support call but just wondering if anyone else has noticed this - and might know what the cause is.   Data sits in SQL 2012 with ARCSDE.   

61 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

I've seen snapping performance issues caused by lack of a spatial index.  Updating the spatial index might help.

0 Kudos
JustinConnerWR
Occasional Contributor II

I update indexes regularly but still have trouble snapping in 10.5.1 that I didn't have in 10.3.1.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Alison, if you haven't yet, maybe its time to create a case with technical support to investigate slow snapping.

0 Kudos
DavidBlehm1
New Contributor

We had the similar issues, snapping was not working at all except for classic snapping. Then we rolled up all versions and now everything seems to be working great no complaints from users and snapping has been working for over a week now without fail.

0 Kudos
CommonUser
New Contributor II

QGIS seems to handle large data a lot better than arcmap 10.5. I have had a similar issue with arcmap 10.5 even  with a full version on a brand new computer. It does not seem to matter if it is a shapefile or geodatabase.  It is kind of a pain going back and forth from QGIS and ESRI but if the data is over a certain size 10.5 will just not do certain processes. So for example: if I need to do a select by location on a large data set , I just do it in QGIS and export it to a shapefile or geodatabase.  

RickGeittmann

OK so same here went from v10.3.1 to 10.5.1 and did the install over the top of the v10.3.1.

What worked for us was to uninstall everything desktop related via the add remove programs.

Next did a search and destroy on any and all folders that referenced ESRI on the local machine to include each and every profile.

Also unloaded any other ESRI software such as Explorer / Arc Earth

Then we ran a registry cleaner to clear any and all references to pointers in the registry.

Still had issues - ripped out the SQL client driver and installed the ODBC driver that suits your version of OS 64 / 32 bit and database engine.

That has seemed to fix the problems for us - most notable was the "clean" install.

Here is where I removed ESRI / ArcGIS references:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\ArcGIS

C:\ Program Files(x86)\ArcGIS

C:\Program Files\Common Files(x86)\ArcGIS

C:\Python27

C:\Users\

I did find a few directories with just the name ESRI - killed those also

Oh if you see anything in the FlexNet directories leave that alone !!

Hope this helps someone

0 Kudos
MichaelHewitt
Occasional Contributor

I was on another thread and someone pointed me to this thread for similar issues.  I am on 10.5.1 however.  I use SQL on my server to facilitate a workgroup geodatabase (formerly ArcSDE, not sure what they call it now).  

I started diving into SQL as the problem.  Recently windows updates for my server suggested that I upgrade SQL server 2014 to Service Pack 2 as an optional update.  It seems I have a SQL 2014 version from July 2015 (it was quite difficult to figure this out BTW and this was the version that "database_server_workgroup_1051_156258.exe" program had me install).  I plan to install the update today at the end of the day (when staff are not using it), but something I found recently was an ArcMap patch that deals with SQL:  ArcGIS 10.5.1 (Desktop, Engine, Server) SQL Server Permissions Patch.  I tried installing that before uninstalling, cleaning up leftovers and running a registry sweep for anything ArcGIS/ESRI. 

Although the SQL patch deals more with server permissions and not really the issues being brought up in this thread, it seemed to speed things up.  Specifically, it lets loose the chokehold on bringing up properties (the core issue that started the other thread I was on).  Georeferencing goes much smoother...

My hope is that ESRI found the real cause and delivered it quietly in this SQL patch.  If not, I will try the fresh install.  

Thank You for everyone that was involved in troubleshooting the issue.  I would rather go through a community blog like this as opposed to running to the support desk every time.  Being that I have a concurrent license, asking for support from ESRI is a hassle.  The first thing they ask is "customer number?"

0 Kudos
RickGeittmann

Michael,

My root issue was the slooooooow connection and response to the client in edit sessions etc.

The result was me doing the uninstall routine on the work stations and using the ODBC driver - see earlier in the thread.

As for SQL open the connect to your DB instance and then open a NEW QUERY window

type in

SELCET @@version

Highlight it and then select the EXECUTE button you should get a response back similar to the one below

Microsoft SQL Server 2014 (SP2-CU6) (KB4019094) - 12.0.5553.0 (X64)   Jun 28 2017 16:26:18   Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation  Standard Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.1 <X64> (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)

I reinstalled the client machines - then installed the patches for v10.5.1

THEN went to each machine and used the windows uninstall programs to remove the SQL client connection driver then simply ran the installer for the ODBC driver which you can get in the My ESRI portal where you download your software installs from.

0 Kudos
MargaretMaher
Esri Contributor

Just a comment on the above discussion.  Deleting the folder at "C:\Program Files\Common Files\ArcGIS" will remove folders lower down the directory structure at

C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\ArcGIS\Desktop 10.x\Configuration\CATID

where Desktop 10.x is the version at which 3rd party extensions, or some Esri extensions, were installed.   Those may be 10.0, 10.1, 10.2. 10.3. 10.4 OR 10.5.  There will be a separate "Desktop" for each version at which an extension was installed.  The CATID folder(s) will contain files with a .ECFG extension, which initialize these 3rd party extensions or Esri extensions when ArcMap starts up.  Renaming the respective CATID folders, or deleting the ArcGIS folders will prevent the extensions from initializing but does not remove the extension from the computer. Whenever doing an upgrade from one version of ArcGIS Desktop to another, all 3rd party extensions, or Esri extensions that were installed with the program must also be removed.  If needed, reinstall after checking to make sure that version of the extension is supported for the new version of ArcGIS.

A story to illustrate the potential problems: a customer called, had just installed ArcGIS Desktop 10.4.1 and found that they could not start ArcMap.  Splash screen would appear, then disappear, but the application would not start.  Turned out that at 10.0 the customer had installed ET Geowizards, and never removed it.  When the CATID folder under 10.0 was renamed, ArcMap started.  No problems at all from 10.0 through 10.4, but at 10.4.1, ET Geowizards caused ArcMap to choke.

0 Kudos
RickGeittmann

Margaret - yes I forgot to mention to clear out all add ins and third party installs related to the desktop software - had that issue on one machine with some add ins running we had to clear those add ins out and things started working just fine.

I still am of the mind set there is as yet some undiscovered bug on the server side causing issues but have not located anything in any logs to point at.

0 Kudos