ArcMAP 10.5 Slow Performance

02-19-2017 09:27 PM
TerryAdams
New Contributor III

Hello All,

We have just updated from ArcGIS 10.3 to ArcGIS 10.5.

Suffering from very slow performance in ArcMAP now with certain things.  I've completely re-made MXD's from scratch under 10.5 that I had under 10.3 to remove possible changeover issues.

When I simply tick on/off layers it takes a long time (1 minute or more) to update the display or give me control of ArcMap back.

When I save edits - long time to do that (2 minutes or more) 

When I change a layer from editable to not editable - long time (1 minute) to do that.

I'd have maybe 10 layers in the MXD with JPEG 2000 aerial photo loaded in - but not displayed. 

Arc Catalog displays layers quickly - as you'd expect.   Loading one or 2 layers into ArcMAP also seems ok.  But more than that *really* seems to slow it down.  I never had extremely slow responses like this under 10.3.

We're putting in a support call but just wondering if anyone else has noticed this - and might know what the cause is.   Data sits in SQL 2012 with ARCSDE.   

61 Replies
RickGeittmann
Occasional Contributor II

How much memory do you have on your SQL machine??

MS SQL 2014 and later are memory hogs.

0 Kudos
MichaelHewitt
Occasional Contributor

12GB of RAM on an Intel Pentium CPU G3220 @ 3.00GHz running Windows Server 2012R2 64-bit OS.   It's a Dell PowerEdge T20 with 3 RAID Towers (non-profit on a shoestring budget). 🙂 

0 Kudos
RickGeittmann

Ouch if you are running MS SQL 2014 or later it is barely able to run on that.

Check perfmonitor and see what is available for free memory - select overview - I am going to guess you are at 88 - 92% on memory committed.

Check the Arc Server / SQL logs for errors like appdomain unloading - that is a good indication you are short on memory resources.

On rebuilding the indexes check the box to Include System Tables then hit the select all and UNCHECK Rebuild Delta Tables Only run that and see what happens

I am thinking in your case it is more a question of SQL croaking due to memory resources.

0 Kudos
MichaelHewitt
Occasional Contributor

Uh, wow.  Thank you.  OK.  I am only an incidental IT, mainly because of our 6 person staff I am the one who endeavors to find answers to computer problems.  I had never found any specs on a server of this type, being that it is kind of unique.  I have a feeling it is really out of my pay grade, but I try anyway.  

That could be the answer to several problems that I am experiencing with this stupid thing.  It loves BSOD on me due to DPC Watchdog Violation and IRQ Errors.  I was trying to troubleshoot the RAID Towers and cards, but maybe it is system resources.  The timing of the crashes seemed to correspond to when client computers were using ArcGIS or opening large image files, but like I say they are all still on ArcGIS 10.3.1 and don't experience the slowness that I do on 10.5.1.  

I will l def look into what you suggested.  I have a board meeting coming up so it might not be for a few days. 

I would love to have a real blade server.  I think I am pushing this poor Dell PowerEdge to its limits. 

The work of a non-profit computer is never easy.  LOL.  

0 Kudos
RickGeittmann

Ha Ha !! Hey we all learn over time from trying - google is your friend !! I am definitely not an expert by a long shot just check logs and research on google - plus search through the forms looking to see if someone else has had a similar type problem - lot of my learning is trial and error - PHD Push Here Dummy

Hopefully some of what I suggested helps - cannot hurt - post back with any results.

Never be afraid to try or ask a question - I have ADHD and can ask some really stupid questions when it is very obvious to others but I ask anyway

0 Kudos
MichaelHewitt
Occasional Contributor

So, I checked and I am averaging 30% memory committed.  I was even testing while editing a few layers in my enterprise geodatabase.  

I don't have ArcServer installed.  I have had it installed in the past, but I apparently am not doing anything that requires it.  I am serving up an enterprise database to my domain network.  There was a different program I installed this time that basically piggybacks on SQL Server 2014 Configuration Manager to give you specifics on setting up the geodatabase in SQL.    

I think I found the issue. 

In my dread of possibly having to upgrade my server and/or scrap enterprise geodatabases, I went back to square 1 when trying to work with slowness in ArcGIS.  When I started working on this, I had looked into all these typical issues.  Real-time AntiVirus scanning being one. I had Symantec Endpoint Protection installed, but subsequently uninstalled it.  Windows 10 has AV built in, which basically took over afterward.  I found out how to shut it off and things really sped up.  I put the exclusions in today.  From: FAQ: How do I troubleshoot ArcGIS Desktop performance issues related to antivirus software (exceptio... .  We will see how that works.  

0 Kudos
TomeJovanovski
Esri Contributor

Hi everyone!

My company has recently migrated from ArcGIS Desktop 10.4 to ArcGIS Desktop 10.5.1.

Everything works perfectly fine, no performance issues, until I try to consume a cached map service (ortophoto imagery) from another organization. It takes 5-6 minutes to load the ortophoto and after it loads, even simple command like right click -> properties on a certain layer takes forever to complete. We also consume vector map services and other raster cached which are not as large as the ortophoto and everything works just fine.

Simultaneously, we have tried loading the same web services from a PCs where our ArcMaps are still 10.4 and 10.3.1 and there is no problem loading and using the ortophotos. 

We have used these web services from this organization successfully for a long time and we have not run onto this kind of problem until we upgraded to 10.5.1. 

The best advice I have read so far regarding our case is that I should uninstall completely ArcGIS Desktop, remove every ESRI folder from the PCs and do the "clean install". But it would not be wise to do that on so many computers in our organization. Also deleting those folders would affect other ESRI products we have installed. There MUST be some other fix for the slow performance issues with 10.5.1. 

Anyone else has this problem? Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Tome GDi Skopje

0 Kudos
YeonKim
New Contributor III

Hello,

I just ran into the same issue. We are getting ready to migrate to 10.5.1 from 10.3.1 and we deployed ArcMap 10.5.1 to pilot users before the Citywide deployment. All seemed acceptable (we did a complete uninstallation before installing 10.5.1 following the advice on this thread) and then I just ran into this painfully slow loading of cached map services in ArcMap 10.5.1.

Have you found a solution for it? Any advice is much appreciated.

Yeon

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Are you still using the cache(s) created in the previous version of ArcMap?  Maybe try recreating one of the cached mapservices from scratch in 10.5.1 instead of using a cache migrated from 10.3.1 (If that is what you did).

0 Kudos
YeonKim
New Contributor III

Michael,

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried both 10.3.1 server cached services and brand-new 10.5.1 cached services, whose caches were newly created in 10.5.1. They are both very slow to load in ArcMap 10.5.1. Our cached map services only cover the City and plus some extent. ArcMap is definitely caching the tiles - after spending several minutes to load,  it zooms in and out quite fast. Hope ArcMap does some pre-loading and some in-time loading so that users don't have to sit there and wait for minutes...

Please keep sending your ideas this way. Maybe there is a trick or something simple I overlooked?

Thanks.

Yeon