ArcPro Paste Features failed - the feature does not have any associated geometry

Jump to solution
02-14-2024 02:43 PM
Labels (2)
MaryDuBose
New Contributor III

In ArcPro 3.2 we are trying to copy and paste features from one feature class to another, and getting the error "Paste Features failed. The feature does not have any associated geometry".

Both of these  FCs are lines. The one we're pasting FROM is in a file geodatabase, and the one we're pasting INTO is in an enterprise geodatabase. They are both in feature datasets that include a point FC. Copying and pasting from one point FC to the other works fine, it's just the lines that cause the error.

Things I have considered:

• There is a topology in the enterprise geodatabase - not sure if that could cause a problem? Neither feature class has M-values or Z-values.
  • The FGDB feature class has attachments, while the enterprise geodatabase feature class does not.
  • The schemas match for both FCs.

Any advice for this situation? Googling the error message brings up this helpful note from Esri: "While this error can occur, it occurs so rarely that the typical causes have not been identified so no solution is available at this time."

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MaryDuBose
New Contributor III

Replying to my own question to document the help I received from Esri Technical Support in case anyone else runs into this issue and comes across this question.

The issue was basically exactly what the error message said - there was one feature out of about 2,000 with an empty geometry that was mistakenly added. To select the remaining (correct) features, we did a Select By Attributes to select features where Shape Length was null. This returned the line with empty geometry, then we switched the selection. Performing the copy and paste on only the features with a geometry worked fine.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @MaryDuBose That error doesn't seem very helpful and perhaps shouldn't occur. Are you able to reach out to Esri Technical Support so they can look into a possible bug?

0 Kudos
MaryDuBose
New Contributor III

Thank you Scott! Just submitted a case to Technical Support.

MaryDuBose
New Contributor III

Replying to my own question to document the help I received from Esri Technical Support in case anyone else runs into this issue and comes across this question.

The issue was basically exactly what the error message said - there was one feature out of about 2,000 with an empty geometry that was mistakenly added. To select the remaining (correct) features, we did a Select By Attributes to select features where Shape Length was null. This returned the line with empty geometry, then we switched the selection. Performing the copy and paste on only the features with a geometry worked fine.

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

I'm glad to hear you got a solution! and that the error message wasn't misleading 🙂

0 Kudos