Are mosaic datasets supported in an SQL enterprise geodatabase?

Jump to solution
10-10-2023 01:29 PM
Labels (3)
MatthewBeal
Occasional Contributor III

I am trying to create a new mosaic dataset on our enterprise geodatabase. I create the mosaic dataset without issue. I added the rasters without issue. I then used the define overviews and build overviews tool and told it to use the same location as the mosaic dataset. The tools run very quickly (less than 30 seconds) and returns no errors, but when they complete, nothing happens. No overviews are built. I've tried this several times and all had the same result. 

I decided to test in in a file geodatabase as well and may have somewhat identified the problem. Based on my understanding of the process, there should be a folder that ends with ".Overviews" generated in the same location as the mosaic dataset geodatabase. But for some reason, that folder is never created. Any idea what the problem could be?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MatthewBeal

George, 

I think I figured out the problem. Our imagery was delivered in .jp2 format (Jpeg2000). These apparently have built in pyramids which seem to cause problems. In order to resolve the issue, I had to do two things:

1. Define Overviews - Outside of the default options, I set the "Number of Levels" parameter to -1 so that it would determine the optimal value for me. Under the Overview Tile Parameters category, I checked the box to "Force Overview Tiles." I think that setting must have convinced it to ignore the internal pyramids and build the overviews properly because when I ran with those settings, it took about 30 seconds longer, and the log was populated with a lot more info. The mosaic layer in the map then updated with new footprints showing the expanded footprint for the new overviews and the imagery was replaced by the black and white checkerboard when zoomed out since the overviews hadn't been built yet. 

2. I then ran the Build Overviews tool with the same parameters as before. It took about 35 minutes for ~900 imagery tiles (1527 overviews built) and when it finished the imagery finally popped up. I ran this on my local hard drive so I'm just going to copy the layer to my eGDB now. Thanks for your help!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

It should be in the SQL Server geodatabase: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/imagery/mosaic-dataset-overviews-pro-.htm#ESRI_SE...

Now I am not sure the extact table name they would be. I have used them in SQL Server with no issues in the past.

--- George T.
MatthewBeal

George, 

I think I figured out the problem. Our imagery was delivered in .jp2 format (Jpeg2000). These apparently have built in pyramids which seem to cause problems. In order to resolve the issue, I had to do two things:

1. Define Overviews - Outside of the default options, I set the "Number of Levels" parameter to -1 so that it would determine the optimal value for me. Under the Overview Tile Parameters category, I checked the box to "Force Overview Tiles." I think that setting must have convinced it to ignore the internal pyramids and build the overviews properly because when I ran with those settings, it took about 30 seconds longer, and the log was populated with a lot more info. The mosaic layer in the map then updated with new footprints showing the expanded footprint for the new overviews and the imagery was replaced by the black and white checkerboard when zoomed out since the overviews hadn't been built yet. 

2. I then ran the Build Overviews tool with the same parameters as before. It took about 35 minutes for ~900 imagery tiles (1527 overviews built) and when it finished the imagery finally popped up. I ran this on my local hard drive so I'm just going to copy the layer to my eGDB now. Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
mody_buchbinder

Hi

It is not a good idea to save the overview in the enterprise geodatabase or in the default fgdb directory.

You better create OV directory on the same location (or close) where the original data is saved. Then use Define Overview (before build overviews) to set this location for the overviews (usually all other properties should not be changed).

The Mosaic itself (not the rasters) can be in Enterprise geodatabase but in most cases Mosaics are not updated very often and there is no need for multi user updates. Reading it need many sql command for the client - it have some overhead with Enterprise geodatabase.

This is why I keep most of my mosaics in fgdb.

Have fun

MatthewBeal

Could you expand on why it is not a good idea to have them in the eGDB? I managed to get my problem solved (see my reply to George above), but I'm open to going back and doing it again if there is a good reason to do so. I'm working on an eGDB that I inherited when I started and it has all of our historical imagery in it. Some in a large Raster with pyramids/overviews, some in mosaic GDB. We do not have versioning turned on for this eGDB. It is mainly used because it is on a server that all of our employees have access to. Would we be better off doing this differently? Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos