Backup In Progress impeding work 2.9.2

03-21-2022 04:07 PM
JonHoch
New Contributor II

ArcPro has begun stalling while doing it's regular back up; I believe since I updated to 2.9.2.

The Help file mentions, "The backup process does not interrupt your work or slow down the performance of ArcGIS Pro", but I would beg to differ as I am reoccurringly in a stalled state of not being able to select layers and other functionality and get frustrated and look up and sure enough [Backup in progress].

The default was 5 minutes so I changed to 10minutes but it's still annoying that things pause every 10minutes to do a backup that isn't supposed to interrupt your work...

Anyone else with that issue? 

15 Replies
JackFanZhang
Occasional Contributor

I have to turn off the backup option, hi ESRI, your ArcGIS Pro is a joke.

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

On the internals, I've read a few support cases that describe this behavior.  What seemed to work to resolve this issue were the following items - NOTE - before attempting these steps ensure you are not using an offline license of ArcGIS Pro.

1. Run a repair of ArcGIS Pro
- Close all ESRI programs.
- Go to the Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a program
- Right-click ArcGIS Pro  > Uninstall/Change
- Navigate through the wizard and select the option to 'Repair' 
- Next through the dialog until you Finish
- Launch ArcGIS Pro and attempt to reproduce the behavior.  If the issue persists, proceed to the next step.  If not, stop here.

2. Reset Esri folders on user profile
- Close all ESRI programs.
- Navigate to "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming" 
*AppData folder is hidden by default. If AppData is not available, you need to click Organize > Folder and search options > View > Under "Hidden files and folders" > Check Show hidden files, folders and drives.
- Rename the Esri folder to Esri_Old. 
- Navigate to "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\ESRI"
- Rename the file ArcGISSettings.XML file to ArcGISSettings_old.xml
- Rename the folder ArcGISPro.exe_URL_(long alpha numeric string) folder to ArcGisPro.exe_url_old

3. Reset the Esri folder in the Registry.
*Important: These steps tell you how to modify the registry. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow the steps carefully or have your IT assist you. 
- Go to windows Start menu and type 'regedit' in the search box and hit enter. This should open the Windows registry editor
- Once in the Registry Editor, navigate to the following directory (look on the left-hand panel of the window) HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software. 
- Rename the ESRI folder to ESRI_Old

Hope this helps resolve the issue!

0 Kudos
MichaelDavis3
Occasional Contributor III

Are there any plans to address this with a bug fix? We are experiencing this across 2.8/2.9 version of Pro and we have 1,000+ users to support. 

JackFanZhang
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Robert for the patch. However, I have to say I wouldn't try it as I don't have the admin right on my work computer to play around with reg editor etc, nor our ICT team would be happy with it. It is ESRI's responsibility to get this fixed properly for such expensive software. The issue has been there for so long and for so many of their users.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

You're welcome Jack.  Understand about not having ADMIN rights on your PC for regedit modifications.  You can rename the ESRI folders in your user profile without ADMIN rights, so it's worth a try.  

I understand the impact this is having on your users workflows.  As I work in Training Services, I do not have much sway with the ArcGIS Pro Development Team, but I would highly advise calling Esri Support Services to log this incident.  This provides an opportunity for the Support Team to research the issue, log a bug, and address it with a future update.  I'm only seeing 4 incidents logged with Support Services with no response from the customer nor any logged bug reports.  We do try very hard to catch every bug and address many of them with every patch update.

0 Kudos
BrianCohenTNC
New Contributor II

Try clearing your Display Cache (Project - Options - Display...). It may not be the issue, but it might help. It seemed to help in my case.

0 Kudos