Best methods of abusing the labelling system for the attributes pane

02-10-2023 09:59 PM
Labels (3)
DeclanMaguire
New Contributor

I am a data analyst, subcontracted to perform asset management using a lightly customised version of ArcGIS Pro. I have no real ability to customise the installation, and must edit interactively as I am explicitly forbidden from running any scripts to perform my job - but what I CAN do is customise labels.

For context, my work involves a large amount of editing the z-values of vertically stacked point features (all of which are attached/contained to/by another feature), placing them at specific offsets relative to one-another or the containing object. Obviously this is the sort of work that ought to be done by scripting some tool to automate the task - but again, this is forbidden.

The installations of ArcGIS Pro I work with are very slow because of (I assume) the size of the databases involved, the configurations of those databases, and/or the involved servers being constantly overloaded. Combined with how ArcGIS Pro will deselect all objects when editing geometry, and how painfully slow it is to re-select these objects given both lag and the objects being vertically stacked (the "make layer from selection" feature is disabled), I need workarounds to make my life easier, and abusing the label system has so far been the best way to do so.

My questions are:

1) Can I make a feature's label (in the attributes pane) depend on the attributes or geometry of the feature it contains, the feature containing it, or the "sibling" features that are similarly contained/attached to a "parent" feature?

2) Can I colour parts of the label (IN THE ATTRIBUTE PANE), and can I do so conditional on some function?

3) Are there other ways of abusing the labelling system that I haven't considered?

4) Are there other solutions I haven't considered for my problems?

0 Kudos
0 Replies