Bug Importing Excel Workbooks with Data Validation into ArcPro gdb's

08-22-2023 12:26 PM
Labels (2)
SamSimpson
New Contributor III

Hello,

I would like to inquire on an issue my agency is currently facing with a specific workflow involving an Excel workbook with list data validation setup. 

Here's how the workflow typically unfolds: Users fill out rows within the Excel workbook, benefiting from the data validation that allows drop-down cell values to be selected. Subsequently, the workbook is meant to be imported into ArcPro, with one of its sheets being incorporated into a project geodatabase as a table. The goal is to perform further operations on this table.

However, we have encountered a persistent 'lock' issue that poses a challenge to the workflow's successful execution. In most instances, we are able to load the sheet into a geodatabase. Regrettably, attempting any subsequent actions on it eventually triggers an error. I have attached the error message that appeared when I tried to display the x/y off the table.

Additionally, you'll observe in the accompanying image that the geodatabase now bears a red exclamation point. While I can refresh it and see a feature class created from the display x/y operation, the dataset is unfortunately empty.

Normally, we have no issue importing Excel workbooks into Pro and performing similar operations, but these workbooks do not carry any data validation.

I have tried a few things in an attempt to work around this issue, including clearing all data validation and saving the workbook as a new Excel file, as well as converting it to a CSV file after removing all data validation. These attempts have not resolved the issue within ArcPro.

Interestingly, in ArcMap, I've been able to convert the Excel workbook to a CSV format without the need for data validation clearing, and I have encountered no errors in doing so; though I have faced errors while attempting to use the 'Excel to Table' tool in ArcMap on the same workbook.

I am hoping for some insights or suggestions to help us resolve this issue, if this is a bug, I'm reporting it.

Thanks,

Sam

2 Replies
rzufelt
Occasional Contributor

Are you sure the Excel file is not open by anyone when you try to import?

And, if in FGDB, is there anyone else connected to data from that geodatabase?

Also, why not just add it as a table in the geodatabase, and assign domains to the field(s) that need validation.

Then, you will have the accepted values in a drop down list right in Pro/Map/AGOL/etc.

R_

0 Kudos
SamSimpson
New Contributor III

Thanks for the response.

No one is is touching any of the items. I have recreated the issue in many file locations using many newly created workbooks and gdb's; other users causing the lock was the first check. The issue only persists in ArcPro.

The workbook is used similar to a survey for non-agency/GIS users. It gathers information on new building locations for a larger project; in a perfect world we would use Survey123 or something similar but we do not have that option at the moment.

0 Kudos