Can't calculate geometry in anything but degrees?

07-12-2023 10:42 AM
swfbtucs
New Contributor III

There's a two year history in this question so I'm going to try to ask this question without getting into details. I need to transform (Modify Features - Transform) a feature class and I need to find UTMs for some beginning points and the points I want to transform them to. I created a map with NAD 1983 (2011) UTM Zone 12N CRS and set layers to same.  

When I use the Calculate Geometry Attributes tool to get the x,y in UTMs, however, my only choices are varying degree formats. What's going on? I've done it before on the same layers in ArcGIS Pro. I have notes. I'm getting something mixed up, but at a loss.  

swfbtucs_0-1689183644620.png

9 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Check the Units settings in Options?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
swfbtucs
New Contributor III

What options? There are no "Options" in the Calculate Geometry tool.

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Sorry, I meant in your ArcGIS Pro Project / Application settings. What's listed as available there will often dictate what shows up in other tools. I regularly work with chains and rods as linear measurements, and by enabling them in my applicaiton settings, those units become available in other tools throughout the program.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
swfbtucs
New Contributor III

Changing all of the several places to change units in Options, to meters, or metric, or kilometers, or centimeters, had not effect on the Calculate Geometry tool Coordinate Format drop-down choices.

0 Kudos
BrendanNewell
Esri Contributor

Hey @swfbtucs, can you try to change the property from  Point x-coordinate to Point x- and y-coordinate notation, this should provide you with additional coordinate formats. Hopefully this is what you are looking for!

🙂
0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I would first check the properties of the featureclass to ensure that the coordinates of the data are indeed in a UTM coordinate system.  "setting them" to UTM doesn't "make them" UTM.  If the data are in degrees, then you need to use

Project (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

If you used

Define Projection (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

then you defined the coordinate system wrong.

In any event the tool

Calculate Geometry Attributes (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

requires that you specify the desired coordinate system as well as the unit with the UTM options way down at the bottom of 'coordinate format' (after you specify the system first')

UTM—The coordinate format will be Universal Transverse Mercator.
UTMNS—The coordinate format will be Universal Transverse Mercator with no spaces.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
swfbtucs
New Contributor III

Dan,

Thank you for answering. Everything in the feature class Properties/Source says meters; no reference to degrees anywhere, Spatial Reference="NAD 1983 (2011) UTM Zone 12N". Where else would I look? 

Did all you suggested and the drop-down shows only degrees as coordinate format options.

Interestingly, if I select "Same as Input" and run the tool, it does the calculation correctly, in UTM meters. Also, following Brendan's suggestion, if I calculate on a text field and choose "Point-x and point-y coordinate notation" I do get UTM as an option in the format drop-down. This is not what I want because it puts both points in the same field.

This is a bug. Or at least a mismatch between reality and the instructions at https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/calculate-geometry-attribute....

swfbtucs_0-1689257696472.png

swfbtucs_1-1689257763520.png

swfbtucs_2-1689257862132.png

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If everything is in projected coordinates, why not use

addxy.png

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
swfbtucs
New Contributor III

Hmm. That's a new one for me. I'll look into it.

Thanks!

0 Kudos