Can't save ArcGIS Pro Project - SaveProjectAsync Failed

05-12-2016 01:27 PM
RyanCooper1
New Contributor

I've been working on a project in ArcGIS Pro 1.2 today. After a day of successfully being able to save my project, I am now unable to do so. Each time I try to save I am given the following error ProjectService::SaveProjectAsync Failed.

arcgis-pro-no-save.JPG

I have taken the following measures:

• Restart ArcGIS Pro
  • Uninstall and reinstall ArcGIS Pro
  • Restart my computer
  • Create a new copy of my project

Following each of these measures I have reopened ArcGIS Pro, panned the map a little and then tried to save. Each time, I have received the above error message.

The project I'm working on is fairly simple and has made use of some of the basic geoprocessing tools. Looking back at the time between my last save and this error, I'm having trouble recalling any unusual processes or methods I used. Other than importing a feature class into my project geodatabase, most of the work has involved clipping and styling the datas' symbologies.

I apologize for some of the vagueness on the moments leading up to this error. If there's some useful bit of information that would help to solve this, I'm happy to hunt it down. Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
22 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You should set your environments explicitly, in

• Geoprocessing options (there are several)
  • Environments tab for any tool that you use in Arctoolbox

Otherwise defaults are used and they may be to places where you don't have permissions, particular if you aren't the sole user of the computer.

0 Kudos
LaszloKatona
New Contributor II

These are the geoprocessing options that I found in my project:

...and these are my project settings (no spaces in paths):

I'm not using any tools in ArcToolbox in the project, although I am using some geoprocessing tools, but don't see anything in the environments of those that would affect saving the project. 

The properties of the sunshade raster function I am using are interesting, they state the as the input layer as the data source:

...this suggests it is generating the sunshade on-the-fly and not creating or storing a temporary layer at all?  As far as I can tell, everything is stored locally, within the ArcGISPro project, or within a folder structure at the same level as the Home Folder. 

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

sunshade.... hmmm can't find it, is it builtin or is it hillshade? or this one found on arcscripts beta?

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=403a846855f14539a2c15ff09398e8e5

Also P drive? that is not what I mean by local, unless you have a wack of drives on your machine.  If you have time, on a lark, try c:/test/everything here

0 Kudos
LaszloKatona
New Contributor II

It is a hillshade, but as a custom raster function it is pre-populated with parameters that we use all the time.  My P drive is a usb hard drive permanently connected to my machine.  I consider it local because it is not a network drive (with windows having to resolve a unc path).  I'll see how I go recreating the error with everything on a built-in drive (c or d) and repost then.  So far it has behaved for a couple of sessions.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

the only reason I ask, is we had 'issues' with my students working with usb drives and sticks when working with raster data.  They were trying to take the shortcut of not having to make their projects transportable and having to copy their work from their local machine to their backup (ie usb drives or sticks).  Invariably, I would get the 'I got a problem...' comment, to which I would respond with 'were you working on a local drive?...'

I gave up trying to figure out what the problem was since the solution was so simple.  I hope this is the case for you, if not, I am out of ideas with regards to the raster functions since their interface and access is hidden from view.  Tools with arctoolbox may serve as an option, but obviously, the raster function approach was chosen for a reason.

Good luck

0 Kudos
MarkCederholm
Occasional Contributor III

If I had a dime for every time I had a "SaveProjectAsync" failure, or a random geoprocessing tool failure, I could easily eat at the fanciest restaurant in town.  Seriously, Esri really needs to work on stability issues here.

0 Kudos
ErnieBuford
New Contributor

FWIW, I've gotten this error while working through the training course "Getting Started with ArcGIS Pro"... most of the way through the analysis section, just after having run Hillshade and IDW tools (data stored on a network share with no spaces in the path; v. 1.3.5861).

RoxaneBlackley1
New Contributor

I found the same error in the same spot in tutorial.  I removed Hillshade layer (still get error), turned off/on Basemap/World_Topo_Map and I'm now able to save again.

Maartende_Jong
New Contributor II

Same here. Also while working through the Getting started tutorial. removing Hillshade solved the issue

TylerLarson
New Contributor III

I am working using Pro 1.3 and was getting this error.  Removing the hillshade layer fixed the issue for me.  We will see if I add it back if it works again or not. 

0 Kudos