Can You Link a Map's Scale to Another Frame with a Proportional or Ratio of that Frame's Scale in Pro

10-10-2022 10:34 AM
tiny_cthulhu
New Contributor

Hi, I'm newish to ArcPro (long time ArcMap user) and I'm having trouble figuring out if this is a thing:

I have a layout with two map frames: the main map and an inset frame.

I want to link the inset frame's center and scale to the main map. BUT, I don't want the inset to have the exact same scale as the main map, I want it to be a proportion or relatively linked to the main map.

For example I want to be able to have the inset map zoom in, in proportion to how much I zoom in on the main map, but not match scale exactly. I want to be able to set the inset map to be 3 times the scale of the main map, or 100,000 more than the map, so that if the main map is at 1:30,000 and the inset map was at 1:300,000 and I zoom in the main map, to 1:20,000, the inset map would then be 1:290,000 or 1:200,000.

Either way (proportional or relative) I would be happy with, I just want both to zoom in at the same time, just not have both frames have the exact same scale, which seems to be the only scale-linking option in the constraints drop-down. Is this a thing?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

There isn't currently a way to do linked proportional scales in ArcGIS Pro. However some of the other fitting strategies might work here. Linked map frame extent and linked map frame center both allow you to use the extent of a layer to zoom out further. If you have a layer with features at the other scale you want to display you could use that. If the scales are pretty common you can just use linked center, and then the map frame will keep it's scale but update the location. 

Cheers,
Aubri
0 Kudos