Cannot find tutorial dataset , downloaded and extracted from zip but invisible to ArcGis Pro

03-11-2024 03:05 PM
Labels (2)
MillieBuckner
New Contributor II

Stuck at Start of Tutorial: Geocode a table of addresses

What I did:

1. Downloaded data set from tutorial description page
  2. Saved the downloaded file locally (c:\users\documents\millie\scratcharea\GeocodingPro.zip
  3. Unzipped the downloaded file
  4. Started ArcGISPRO
  5. Signedin online
  6. Created blank project, using "without. template" 
  7. Added map (insert->New Map)
  8. ***This is where the problem appears:***
    Insert tab->Project Group -> Add Folder

From here, the downloaded data is not available.  None of the paths available int he dialog lead t where the downloaded data is stored

How could this happen?
    How can I Add tjhe downloaded data to the project?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
BarryNorthey
Occasional Contributor III

At step 3. Did you right click on the downloaded zip file --> Extract All to a location on disk? If so,

At Step 8. Expand This PC in the left panel of the Add Folder Connection window --> click on

BarryNorthey_0-1710200686551.png drill down in the right panel to find the target folder where you Extracted the data to --> click on that folder --> OK

You should now see the folder and its contents in the Folders section of the Catalog pane.

You can alternately do this from the Catalog pane by right clicking on the Folder icon --> Add Folder Connection.

0 Kudos
BarryNorthey
Occasional Contributor III

If that doesn't work, drag the folder from File Explorer and drop it into the Folders section in the Catalog pane.

0 Kudos
RonaldHaug
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Millie,

What I do with tutorial data folders is I download the zipfile to my download folder. Then I "extract all" on the download folder.  This creates a folder which is either a data folder or a project folder (which includes the .aprx project file you click on to open ArcGIS Pro). 

In the example below I copy the "Data" folder and paste it inside an existing Arc GIS project folder ("Data" inside "Refugee Populations") or I paste the project folder "Refugee Populations" into Documents>ArcGIS>Projects.

RonaldHaug_1-1710226552176.png

Let us know how you did.

0 Kudos