Change Field Name/Alias in ArcGIS Pro v3.2 not working

12-05-2023 05:11 AM
Labels (1)
JadedEarth
Occasional Contributor

I'm using ArcGIS Pro version 3.2.

There seems to be an issue when I rename a field in a feature class attribute table.  It will show that it's been changed/renamed as I'm working on it.  But when I remove it from the Map and then reload the feature class, the only change that was in effect was the Field Name but the Alias stays the same as the original alias.  

This messed up my class reclassifications several times.

Is this a bug?  Has anyone else experienced this?

Tags (1)
8 Replies
AndrewJarvis
New Contributor II

I am experiencing the same issue; we just upgraded to 3.2, and when I try to edit Field Properties, changing the field type, it looks as if it changes, but when I hit OK and return to the Export Table window, all of my field changes automatically revert to the originals.

0 Kudos
Eugene_Adkins
Occasional Contributor III

I updated to 3.2 last week (and did not save any projects on purpose), found several issues after using it for about a day, and then immediately uninstalled 3.2 and went back to 3.X.X. 

0 Kudos
TamsenWaldron
New Contributor II

I have also noticed changes in the field view and sometimes it will try to save a field type before I complete entering the type.  I have had to delete several fields and start over to make an additional field. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The approach I have always used is

1. open fields view
  2. change the alias
  3. select Save
  4. switch back from fields view

and the alias sticks if I set my table to use aliases.

If this is not the procedure that you normally use, or it doesn't work for you, then I would open a case with tech support

fldalias.png

... sort of retired...
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

In the Fields Designer at the very top of the pane, for current layer, click the dropdown and choose Data Source.  As long as the new field does not have any data in it you can change the Field Name and Alias.  Make the changes and then click Save on the Fields contextual tab.  This will then change the schema of the feature class so the next time you add it to a new map view, your changes are "remembered."

0 Kudos
JihoonJ
New Contributor

Any Updates? It's still not working for me...

0 Kudos
Thomas_Delgado15
New Contributor

I was having this issue and resolved it by editing the fields directly within the .gdb. So, in the catalog, right click the feature class within the gdg, go to "Data Design --> Fields" and edit from there and save edits using the Fields tab, like DanPatterson mentioned earlier in the thread. Hope this works for ya'll as well. 

DanielleHorne1
New Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion! Was running into this issue today and your suggestion worked for me to.

0 Kudos