Conversion CAD to Geodatabase

Jump to solution
2 weeks ago
Labels (2)
Yosteee
New Contributor

AutoCAD Map3D 2023- Product Version 26.0.37.10

ArcGIS Pro- 3.2.2

Why do some of the AutoCAD Layers do not convert to a Feature Class. My AutoCAD drawing is Georeferenced the same as my ArcGIS Project. It seems that it grouped some layers into one Feature such as polyline. I can create a shapefile of the missing layer but I loose the "length" attribute. The layer in question is only straight lines. I am proficient in AutoCAD but new to GIS.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ThomasHoman
Occasional Contributor III

Your observation is correct, the import of an AutoCAD dwg groups data by ArcGIS primatives - ploylines, polygons, etc. It can be tough to find things if you have lines and polygons in the same layer that get sort of separated in the map.

With regards to losing the length attribute - that is one of many dwg elements that are read-only and not stored as an attribute of the object. If that needs to be retained you have 2 ways of going about it 1) save off the layer to a feature class in Pro; 2) Export layer to a shapefile inside AutoCAD Map and add the length attribute to the data collection.

Our road centerlines that I maintain in CAD uses an ObjectData table for things such as road name, maintenance interval, ... so if I want to use in Pro I have to use option 2 and export to a shapefile because Pro does not recognize that data type. Quite frustrating.

The fun is figuring out how to best utilize both software platforms.

Regards,

Tom

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ThomasHoman
Occasional Contributor III

Your observation is correct, the import of an AutoCAD dwg groups data by ArcGIS primatives - ploylines, polygons, etc. It can be tough to find things if you have lines and polygons in the same layer that get sort of separated in the map.

With regards to losing the length attribute - that is one of many dwg elements that are read-only and not stored as an attribute of the object. If that needs to be retained you have 2 ways of going about it 1) save off the layer to a feature class in Pro; 2) Export layer to a shapefile inside AutoCAD Map and add the length attribute to the data collection.

Our road centerlines that I maintain in CAD uses an ObjectData table for things such as road name, maintenance interval, ... so if I want to use in Pro I have to use option 2 and export to a shapefile because Pro does not recognize that data type. Quite frustrating.

The fun is figuring out how to best utilize both software platforms.

Regards,

Tom