Copy/Paste from a File GDB to Oracle

08-14-2016 11:07 PM
rbae
by
New Contributor III

I'm doing a simple copy/paste of a feature dataset from a file geodatabase into an Oracle SDE database.  The process appends the name of the feature dataset to all of the feature classes.

Is there a reason why this functionality was added?  As soon as the combination of feature dataset + feature class exceeds 30 characters, the load of the data into Oracle fails.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

seem 30 is a popular limit with Oracle

rbae
by
New Contributor III

The question was not regarding the limit in Oracle, but the fact that ArcGIS Pro appends the feature dataset name to the feature class, resulting in a name that exceeds the 30 character limit.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Not sure, both map and pro are mute on the topic.  Perhaps it is because duplicate feature class names need a modifier.  I don't use that type of data storage so you would best contact tech support since it has been almost a week.  I assume that copy and paste has been ruled out as the addition and that this is just common behaviour.  The obvious advise that will be given to you is to shorten names to fit in the 30 char compliance range.  I can't find any complaints on this limit, so perhaps the need for longer names is in limited demand.  I couldn't even find anything on ArcGIS Ideas so good luck and report back if you get any info.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are you copying and pasting an item from within the feature dataset or the entire feature dataset?  What is the behavior in ArcMap/ArcCatalog?  Have you tried using any of the geoprocessing tools instead of copy and paste?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello ,

You can use 
import operation after making connection to your oracle DB with write permission.

Then use your FGDB data to import.

or directly copy data from FGDB and copy to oracle DB collection.

In data management tool also have tool which is use to copy data from one DB to another DB.

Thanks.

0 Kudos