Create a basemap with tile style editor and custom data in pro

01-12-2024 07:11 AM
leahmaps
Occasional Contributor II

Hello! Hoping this is on the right question board. 

I am hoping to create a custom base map (that will later be available on Cartegraph) that uses both a background from the vector tile style editor AND some data (parcel lines/address numbers) from our own data. 

Is this something that can be done? Any documentation that I can find is mostly outlining the ability to view the map offline once it is in AGOL. Below are some of the articles I am referencing. 

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/mapping/map-authoring/author-a-basemap.htm

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/manage-data/take-maps-offline.htm#ESRI_SECTION2_D017AAE3FB23...

Has anyone tried to do this before or have any other guidance that might be helpful? Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RonaldHaug

Hi leahmaps!

Recently I've been learning how to make maps in ArcGIS Pro for use in Field Maps for field work data collection.

The main thing is you make maps on ArcGISPro, which include a base map (vector tile map) and editable feature layers (which you add data to in the field), and publish them to AGOL.

I took two courses on Esri Training:

1) Creating a web map in ArcGIS Pro

2) Sharing maps and layers with ArcGIS Pro

There is also a 12 page Article in Esri training titled "Take your web maps offline with ArcGIS Field Maps.

There are hands on exercises in both the trainings which will guide you step by step to doing tasks similar to the one you outlined above. The courses are 3 1/2 hours a piece, and I feel like taking them again so I can get more practice with the steps. Sheesh! For me, it's similar to learning how to play the technical aspects of a piano piece. Hope this helps. Here's the link to training:

https://www.esri.com/training/arcgis-online-training/

0 Kudos
leahmaps

Hi Ronald! Thanks for the response. I have stumbled across a few of these trainings, they are SUPER long. The one thing I have noticed is that the tile layer I am using (from the Tile Style Editor) does not let me publish with any other data. When you are using tile layers, what are they from?

0 Kudos
RonaldHaug

Hi leamaps,

The trainings I mentioned are helpful to me. They are broken up into segments, so you don't have to do them all at once, so I recommend them. One thing I learned from getting a GIS certificate at Cal Poly Humboldt (5 full semester courses) is you have to develop a sense of curiosity, and be willing to noodle around in the programs ( ArcMap, ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS online) and esri help pages to solve your problems. You have to let go of the single-minded pursuit of solving your immediate problem, and instead use it as a focus area for learning about the subject. You will also gain a deeper understanding of how to use the programs. They were, after all, built by humans, but most humans don't think and act exactly alike, so you gotta learn the dance steps.

With regard to the vector tile web map, you are right! First we made a basemap of a number features on ArcGIS Pro and published it as a vector tile map on AGOL. Then, next step, we took features which were editable and published them onto AGOL as feature layers. Lastly, we we loaded the basemap from AGOL onto a new map, and then we added the editable feature layers. Then we published that map onto AGOL for future use with Field Maps so we can collect data in the field.

PS the new Field Maps Designer App is really cool.

0 Kudos
SMITHjhone
New Contributor

Creating a basemap with tile style editor and custom data in a GIS software like Esri ArcGIS Pro involves several steps. Here's a general guide on how to do this:

1. Prepare Your Custom Data:

• Before creating the basemap, prepare your custom data that you want to overlay on the basemap. This could include vector data (e.g., points, lines, polygons through The GP510) or raster data (e.g., imagery, elevation data).
  2. Open ArcGIS Pro:

• Launch ArcGIS Pro on your computer.
  3. Create a New Map:

• Start a new project or open an existing one.
    • Create a new map document where you'll design your basemap.
0 Kudos