Create a frequency plot for raster elevation values with in a polygon

10-05-2017 08:45 AM
DavisTolman
New Contributor III

I have a lidar DEM model of the Houston area floodplain with polygons representing areas protected by levees.  I would like analyze the elevation within each levee by sampling the elevation values within the polygons and representing them as a histogram or frequency plot.  Ideally, the x axis would be binned elevation and the y axis would be the frequency (count).  

I've tried the Sample Tool from the spatial analyst toolset, but instead of obtaining the elevation values, I seem to be getting a number between 1 and 256 (...the display value?)

0 Kudos
11 Replies
DavisTolman
New Contributor III

Thanks, I'll calculate statistics and retry.

0 Kudos
DavisTolman
New Contributor III

I've tried calculating statistics for this DEM, but the layer properties still says that no statistics have been calculated.  Is there something wrong with my raster or am I missing something else. 

Below is what my Zonal Histogram table looks like.  Rather than showing the rows as feet (elevation), it shows a objectid column instead.  I'm pretty sure that the values within the polygons represent the elevation distribution for that polygon, but the units are not apparent.

0 Kudos