Create locator: visualizing the search result

Jump to solution
01-25-2024 07:01 AM
MicBry
by
New Contributor II

Hi!

I have created a locator based on a polygon layer. I used the tool "Create locator" in ArcGIS Pro and uploaded the locator to ArcGIS Enterprise Portal. I have successfully managed to add the locator to my web map (used in a dashboard). 

My issue is connected to the visualization of my search result. When I search for an attribute using my locator it zooms in to the center point of that polygon. Do I have any power considering how this result is displayed? I would like it to e.g. highlight the entire polygon that I searched for instead of zooming in to the center point of that polygon. Let's say I search for a zip code "xxx xx", i would then like the entire district with that zip code to be highlighted. 

Does anyone know if there is a way to do this?

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

@MicBry When you build a locator and search addresses or places you will always get a point as a result, regardless of the geometry of the data used to build the locator. If polygon features were the reference data for the locator, the centroid of the polygon is used. You may want to try adding the coordinates for the extent of the polygon features, then using those coordinates when building the locator to see if you get better results when searching for the zip code for example. The following topic describes this and when building the locator you need to map the Min XMax XMin Y, and Max Y locator role fields.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geocoding/fundamentals-of-zooming-to-geocode-resu...

View solution in original post

ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Also, have you considered configuring the polygons for search, then publishing the map from ArcGIS Pro as a web map to your Enterprise portal and using the feature service to search in the web map?

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/portal/latest/use/configure-feature-search.htm

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

@MicBry When you build a locator and search addresses or places you will always get a point as a result, regardless of the geometry of the data used to build the locator. If polygon features were the reference data for the locator, the centroid of the polygon is used. You may want to try adding the coordinates for the extent of the polygon features, then using those coordinates when building the locator to see if you get better results when searching for the zip code for example. The following topic describes this and when building the locator you need to map the Min XMax XMin Y, and Max Y locator role fields.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geocoding/fundamentals-of-zooming-to-geocode-resu...

ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Also, have you considered configuring the polygons for search, then publishing the map from ArcGIS Pro as a web map to your Enterprise portal and using the feature service to search in the web map?

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/portal/latest/use/configure-feature-search.htm

0 Kudos
MicBry
by
New Contributor II

Hi! 

I tried both of your suggestions. The first option did not work for me. I managed to add x and y to my data (and i created a new locator with this data, mapping the values) like you described, but my result was displayed in the same way as before. It is possible i did something wrong along the way.

After this i tried the second option you mentioned. This worked! I can use the seach function that i created in ArcGIS pro as locators within my portal webb map. Now the visualization works as I hoped. I can't seem to rename my "locators" (in the search window they are presented with the dataset names), but that might be a problem for the future. 

Thank you so much for your help! 

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

In order to rename the "locator" in the web map rename the layer in the Contents pane in ArcGIS Pro before configuring it for search and publishing the map to the portal.

Regarding the zoom behavior, were you experiencing this with a local locator in ArcGIS Pro or with the locator published to Enterprise portal used in the web map or? If published was the published locator used in ArcGIS Pro. If it was published was it a single role locator that referenced polygon data or a composite locator that consisted of locators based on polygon data? I'm asking to try and figure out if you are running into BUG-000162951, which is not reproducible with Enterprise 11.2.

0 Kudos
frasertab
New Contributor

I came across this thread while trying to figure out why search results from the polygon layers in our composite locator don't zoom in but often zoom out instead. Is that what BUG-000162951 is? We're at 10.9.1. I can't find any other mention of that bug code aside from this post.

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Which tool was used to create the locators that are in the composite? The bug is related to locators based on polygon features that are published as services and not zooming to an appropriate scale or extent in the Map Viewer compared to the local composite in ArcGIS Pro. It was reported at 10.9.1. If you are up to date on maintenance you should be able to search for the bug number in myesri or the Support site. The only workaround found was to convert the polygons to points and rebuild the locator with the point data, but this might not be feasible for some.

polygon based locator published as a service and used in ArcGIS Pro and the map not

0 Kudos