Default to Select Tool after editing selected feature

05-11-2023 02:14 PM
KurtisGraham1
New Contributor

After selecting and editing a selected feature and clearing the selection, the next feature I select automatically opens the previous Edit tool dialogue unless I physically press the Select Tool button. Is there a way to set the default of the next selection to instead just 'select' and not open the previous Edit tool dialogue?

4 Replies
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

@KurtisGraham1 

Most Modify tools use a special kind of select tool that has additional capabilities like filtering for features that work with the specific tool - for example, points aren't selectable with the select tool that is active within the Reshape tool. Read more about it here: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/editing/select-features-for-editing.htm

For example, here is where it lives in the Edit Vertices tool:

Scott_Harris_0-1683894245386.png

If that select tool is active, the next selection will activate the Edit Vertices tool on that feature (if it's editable).

When you are done using Edit Vertices, you should deactivate the tool by pressing ESC or hitting the back button within the Modify Features tool. This will deactivate the select tool that resides within the tool and activate the Explore tool, but if you want, you can have it activate the standard Select tool instead. See this option:

Scott_Harris_1-1683895075492.png

Hope this helps,

Scott

WDMParkPlanner
New Contributor III

Hi Scott...I read this and thought all of my dreams have come true...until I went to my Options and see that I do not have that option!?!?!?!  Do you by chance know maybe where it moved or how I can switch my setting to default to "select" and not "explore"?

WDMParkPlanner_0-1712848974650.png

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

@WDMParkPlanner It was an option added at 3.1, so if you are using an older release of Pro, you won't see it. Maybe that's what's going on?

WDMParkPlanner
New Contributor III

Nailed it!  I just made the assumption that since I work for a great City they stay up to date on the software. Im still on 3.0. Sounds like in about 1 month we will get the latest. So I look forward to changing that setting then. either way - thanks!!!!