delete part/ring of a multipart polygon feature

Jump to solution
09-02-2022 11:38 AM
RamB
by
Occasional Contributor III

HI, 

I have thousands of polygons that are multipart, I would like to delete parts of this polygon And I know which part i want to delete from the list of parts of a multipart polygon. 

Is there anyway to delete specific parts of a multipart polygon ? I would like to automate this if not tool is available already. I show this in a picture. The full filled polygons in the image are created by manual deleting inner parts/rings from the hollow polygons you see in the image. There are too many such polygons for me to manually delete them. So any advice is welcome. 

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I find using percent of area and specifying 99% (the maximum allowed value) is simpler because one doesn't have to know any of the actual areas before running the tool.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

If all the parts you want to delete are inner rings, i.e. polygon holes, you can try Eliminate Polygon Parts tool with Contained option.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/eliminate-polygon-part.htm

DanLee_0-1662147408252.png

0 Kudos
RamB
by

Thank you. I already tried that. It has no effect. neither with contained or without containted check box.

0 Kudos
DanLee
Esri Regular Contributor

I am surprised. Could you show me how you ran the tool? Or you can share a few polygons so I can test. Thanks.

0 Kudos
RamB
by

Here I attach a small sample. Thank you Dan

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I just tested Eliminate Polygon Part (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation with the uploaded sample data, and it worked as expected, i.e., the holes were removed.  Make sure to specify a condition and appropriate value because leaving all the optional parameters empty won't result in anything being removed.

0 Kudos
DanLee
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks for the sample data.  This is how I ran and the holes were removed.  You just need to specify an area larger than any holes.

DanLee_0-1662229289762.png

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I find using percent of area and specifying 99% (the maximum allowed value) is simpler because one doesn't have to know any of the actual areas before running the tool.

RamB
by

Thank you Dan and Joshua. I tried a value for the area and it worked. It was kind of trial and error. So for now, I will accept Joshua's answer as it gives a more general approach. Thank you Dan.

0 Kudos
DanLee
Esri Regular Contributor

Absolutely! Using a very high percentage makes sense for your case.  🙂

0 Kudos