Differents layouts reacting as one!!

12-20-2017 06:51 AM
DemetriusDallalana
New Contributor II

layouts in pro‌

#layout

#layouts

Hi,

I am trying to make 4 different layouts to show 4 different characterists at the same area with the same objects, changing only the attributes. But, after setup the first layout, I made a copy and try to modify this second layout changing the layer visibility. When I check the first one, the first layout was change the layer visibility setup, remaining both layouts equals.

Am I missing something??

Thanks in advance!!

Demetrius

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I wonder if it is because you made a copy rather than creating a new layout and just copying over the features?

http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/projects/copy-and-paste-project-items.htm

0 Kudos
DemetriusDallalana
New Contributor II

Hey Dan, thanks for yours reply!!

I read the article and created a new layout from scracth, like you suggest and.... the problem remains...

Thanks anyway!

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Demetrius, 

What version of ArcGIS Pro are you using?

Do you turn the layers on/off from the layout view or the map view?

I think this is working as expected - the layouts are looking at the same map, changes you make to the map will be reflected in the layout. An alternative approach might be to use just 1 layout, and alternate your layer visibility. 

Otherwise you'd have to create 4 versions of the maps for each layout.

What end goal do you have in mind? This might help us advise further.

Carmel

0 Kudos
DemetriusDallalana
New Contributor II

Hi Carmel,

My version is ArcGIS Pro 2.0.0.. I asked for IT staff company to install 2.0.1. Patch to verify if this can be fixed.

I tried turn laryers on/off from the layout tabs, but reflects in others layouts.

I wondering this functionality work as layouts in other engineering drawing tools, which you can control layer visibility for each existing layout inside the project.

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

If it's the same MAP inside the layout, then changes to the map will propagate to other layouts that contain the same map.

If you want to have different layer visibilities inside different layouts, you need to create 4 different maps in your 4 different layouts.

0 Kudos
AndyWells
Occasional Contributor II

I've run into this same scenario with Pro. I understand changes to the layer visibility in the map propagating out to any linked layouts. But it really would be a great option if there was a checkbox on the layout itself that says something like "Override map layer visibility" and when you check that, you could change layer visibility independent of the map itself. Then instead of 4 maps and 4 layouts, you could just have 1 map and 4 layouts. All we have right now is just the same old ArcMap setup except in one file instead of 4 files. I was really surprised when I found out Pro didn't have this capability.

MarcelSt-Germain
Occasional Contributor III

Very good suggestion.  Will be very useful for a cartographer.  For us anyway. 

In some project we have 50+ layout with all but annotations changing from layout to layout because of scale change. 

So instead of maybe 5 maps and 50+ layouts, just choose which maps feature to show would be a dream come true.  Better if we can group think so only few checkbox to use (hundreds of annotations by scale so grouping them and just check the group could improve usefulness.

DemetriusDallalana
New Contributor II

Good Afternoon for all...

Thanks for all replies, and my doubt was solve. But I endorse the Marcel and Andy suggestion, because I deal with dozens of sewerage systems and I could create one template with several different layouts, changing only the municipality, or geographic area.

Best regards!

Demetrius Dallalana

0 Kudos