Duplicate lines

Jump to solution
03-20-2024 08:33 AM
SLouq
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

I am trying to edit a polyline in ArcGIS Pro but whenever I make an edit to the line, a duplicate of the line suddenly pops up in my map showing the edit I made in a different location and when I save my edits the line jumps to the wrong location. What is going on?

SLouq_0-1710948766401.png

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Eugene_Adkins
Occasional Contributor III

Looks like some sort of transformation/projection issue on the data. Perhaps the edited data is being projected on the fly, but when you make an edit the "on the fly projection" is being overridden by the underlying coordinate system applied to the data.

It's an idea anyways.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Eugene_Adkins

Does it happen with every project or only the current project you’re using?

0 Kudos
Eugene_Adkins

I would check the coordinate system then. I’ve had something similar happen to me. If it doesn’t happen in other projects it’s not the data (apparently) and if it’s not a projection issue then there’s something funky with the aprx itself.

0 Kudos
SeaRM
by
New Contributor III

I think it's a snapping problem. Your line snaps to the closest feature.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Eugene_Adkins

Looks like some sort of transformation/projection issue on the data. Perhaps the edited data is being projected on the fly, but when you make an edit the "on the fly projection" is being overridden by the underlying coordinate system applied to the data.

It's an idea anyways.

0 Kudos
SLouq
MVP Regular Contributor

It's weird cause I don't remember this happening to me before and I've worked on this feature before. 

When select the line and click Edit Verticies, the line becomes editable with the verticies on it and the duplicate line disappears. But once I make my edits and click the green checkmark to apply the edits, the duplicate line pops up. 

0 Kudos
Eugene_Adkins

Does it happen with every project or only the current project you’re using?

0 Kudos
SLouq
MVP Regular Contributor

Just noticed it in this project. 

At first I thought it might be something with a duplicate features setting turned on or something but I looked and I didnt see anything with duplicate features

0 Kudos
Eugene_Adkins

I would check the coordinate system then. I’ve had something similar happen to me. If it doesn’t happen in other projects it’s not the data (apparently) and if it’s not a projection issue then there’s something funky with the aprx itself.

0 Kudos
SLouq
MVP Regular Contributor

It's possible it could be the coordinate system.

I have the line feature in a map with other hosted feature layers, I'm bringing in from my ArcGIS Online acct and the line feature is in a different coordinate system than the Hosted Feature layers. 

Thanks for your suggestions!

0 Kudos
SeaRM
by
New Contributor III

I think it's a snapping problem. Your line snaps to the closest feature.

0 Kudos