Editiing z-values in a dataset of multipatches

Jump to solution
03-02-2023 11:35 PM
Labels (3)
Tor-AslakFolden
New Contributor II

I have 2000 multipatches that has a different z-value and i need them all to have z-values that belong to the ground. 

All the features looks OK when i put the elevation setting to "On the ground" and thats where i want them to be, but when i say that they are at an absolute height, their z-values differ alot - and i need all multipatches to match z values to the ground to get my analysis to work. 

Thanks in advance 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor
5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

The link Dan provided has the solution. If you run the Layer 3D to Feature Class tool on the multipatch with it's elevation mode set to the Ground, the Z values from the Ground Elevation Surface Layer will be carried over to the Z values of the output multipatch feature class.

thanks,

Andrew

JacobAalfs
New Contributor III

Yes, Layer 3D to Feature Class worked. I have to comment because this may save someone lots of cursing and hair pulling, not to mention time wasted with ESRI customer service. I followed the instructions for this tutorial - Construct realistic buildings with multipatch editing - located here: https://learn.arcgis.com/en/projects/construct-realistic-buildings-with-multipatch-editing/

The issue I had was extruding the building footprints. When I selected a footprint it would disappear from the ground elevation and jump to sea-level (0 ft). The instructions use Paste Special to copy the 2D footprints to 3D multipatch features. I believe Paste Special does not set the Z value of the resulting Multipatch feature, resulting in a Z value of 0. If you are following the tutorial using your own data make sure to set the elevation to Ground for the 3D Multipatch and then run Layer 3D to Feature Class after the Paste Special.

0 Kudos
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

At the bottom of the tutorial is a "send us feedback" form. I'd add this info there as a backlog issue will get created and assigned to the author so they can take a look at your feedback and update the tutorial to clarify any issues.

thanks,

Andrew

0 Kudos
Tor-AslakFolden
New Contributor II

Thank you very much! 

0 Kudos