Editing In Activated Map Mode

11-15-2016 11:04 AM
AmeliaNewsam
Occasional Contributor

I can sometimes edit features while in activated map mode, and sometimes not.  I can't figure out why.  ?

Thanks,

Amy

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

more details please.

what happens when you "can't edit"?  Do you try to use an edit tool and they're not activated? 

0 Kudos
AmeliaNewsam
Occasional Contributor

The reason I like to edit in Activated Map mode is that I'm doing detailed floor maps of buildings and it's easier to get things aligned properly when the straight lines are horizontal and vertical, instead of askew when in Map view.  Also I can use the guides in activated map view to make things straight.  Anyway, I think I may have got it down, it seems to have to do with the order in which I highlight a feature - I have to do it before I go into Layout view.  If I try to highlight a feature in activated map view, sometimes it gives me a little dropdown menu to choose which feature I want to edit, but not always.  Instead, it acts like I'm not selecting anything.  It just won't select.  But I think Maribeth is right about taking chances doing it this way.  

0 Kudos
MaribethPrice
Occasional Contributor

Ah, interesting application. I can see why you would want to now. Go ahead and experiment if you want but…daily backups!

There is a setting in the Map properties, under the General section, for map rotation. Have you tried using that? You might have to reset it when you move to edit a different building (or just make a new map for each building), but it could be an alternate solution.

Maribeth

0 Kudos
AmeliaNewsam
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Maribeth, I will look into that.  I thought I searched thoroughly for the option to do that, but will go back and look again.  

0 Kudos
JenniferCadkin
Esri Contributor

The dropdown menu you refer to is  the selection chip.  The selection chip is shown when you single click in a map with the selection tool active and multiple features are found.  You can pick which feature to select from all possible features.   If one or no features are found, it will not show. It will also not show if you drag a box, for example.  

I am not sure what is going on with the layout and map activation--I will need more info from you.  

0 Kudos
AmeliaNewsam
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Jennifer - there's nothing more to tell at the moment.  I will need to get back on ArcGIS (on Friday) and pay attention to the various steps I take before trying to edit to see if I can notice a pattern.  I'll report back if I can figure it out.

0 Kudos
MaribethPrice
Occasional Contributor

Call me old-fashioned, but after 25 years of dealing with Esri software I wouldn't even try to edit an activated map.  Activated maps are for adjusting layouts; editing is a whole different process (and one that can have severe consequences if it goes awry).  Any thing you can do to keep editing simple is usually the safest way to go. This whole multi-threaded thing is nice, but it is very new.  Don't push it, is my advice.

0 Kudos