EDITING - Reshape Issue in Pro

02-19-2020 08:31 AM
PeteJordan
Occasional Contributor III

I have found a very odd issue in Pro that doesn't seem to be an issue in ArcMap at all when using the Reshape tool while editing polylines.

I have noticed when I'm reshaping a polyline with line and arc segment, that sometimes I end up getting these weird circles that get created away from the actual feature.  In my project they are giant circles that for, despite the actual polyline feature being not that long (Image1.jpg).  This seems to happen only when using combinations of the line and arc segment and doesn't seem to happen with just using line.  It also doesn't always happen and just seems random when it does.

In my test shapefile I was using to try and figure out the cause, I don't get these giant circles, but I do get at time, small circles that aren't connected to my polyline  (image3_test1.jpg showing the original feature) (image3_test2.jpg showing the reshaped feature and the 2 circles that were created)

The only way I know for sure if a feature I edit is fine, is to look at the endnode and then flip the feature to verify I can see the endnode on the other side (Image2.jpg showing how it should look with the endnode being shown and then again flipping the polyline).  Anytime I see a normal node, I know a circle has been created somewhere and I have to then go and split the end of the polyline with the normal node and delete that part and re-attach the polyline to the same endpoint as the segment I split and deleted.  This of course is getting to be time consuming.

As mentioned with the testfile and project file, I am not getting this issue at all in ArcMap using the Reshape tool on the same testfile polyline using the same method.

Any clue as to what's causing this?  Is it a bug with the Reshape tool?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Pete,

I've been trying to reproduce this on my end, however, I'm not seeing it occur.

A few questions:

1. Where is the polyline stored. You mention shapefile, but I'd like to have some clarification. (perhaps it could be shapefile, FGDB, EGDB, hosted feature service, etc)?
  2. What is the coordinate system of the polyline layer?
  3. You mentioned that it seems to occur more often when the lines are made up of line and circular arc segments. Can you clarify what is the geometry you are using when reshaping - does it also contain curves?
  4. Are you able to reproduce with steps showing screenshots - that might help me narrow it down by following along with your steps.

Thanks for any additional details!

Scott

0 Kudos
PeteJordan

Hey Scott,

1. The polylines are stored on our SDE, but the issue also happens with just regular Shapefiles as well that are either stored locally (as in my test) or on other drives.

2. The Coordinate system I've experienced is in both State Plane and GCS Nad 1983.

3. To clarify this happens when I reshape a polyline and I add in curves.  The original line may or may not have any curves.  It also seems, but am not 100% that it happens only when I'm reshaping the entire polyline, and not just a part of it.

4. I don't have any screen shots, but step by step would simply be have a polyline (doesn't mater if it has curves or not), then use the Reshape tool and reshape the entire polyline from start node to end node and add in Arc Segments as well as lines.  

As I said, it happens randomly and in my testing it didn't always create these issues, but I'm pretty sure somehow the arcs are somehow being looped around in a giant circle somehow in my actual project, however the test one, seems to create small circles as shown in image3_test2.jpg above...

Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks Pete - I'll keep trying to reproduce with the new info you gave. If you end up seeing the issue again - and it's easy to reproduce, let me know.

0 Kudos
PeteJordan

Hey Scott,

I was just working on this again right now, because I wanted to know if it was caused by having split polylines that are the same feature, but not physically touching each other and I get the same thing as with non split features.

I have a small test file and again I can reshape a polyline just fine, and then I just kept reshaping it until the issue occurs.  You may not see the small features created at the start, so just show the entire features extent after reshaping and be sure the nodes are visible.

I can modify the same polyilne a few times without the issue and then suddenly the problem pops up, seemingly random, but I think there just has to be something triggering it that isn't just a random thing.

I have a small shapefile I can send to you, but don't think I can send it through here...

Pete

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Pete,

I just sent you a message.

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos