ERROR 000496: table is being edited with secondary error ERROR Update table row failed. Unexpected operation [Layer]

06-26-2023 06:08 PM
akm5495
New Contributor

UPDATE 7/10/23

I am no longer experiencing this issue. It turned out for whatever reason the LACo_CityBoundaries layer was corrupted. When trying t access the attribute table, load it into the map, or open its properties, nothing would show. Deleting it and importing a copy of the shapefile allowed for me to carry on as if nothing happened! I am leaving this post here incase any ever finds any use for my scenario.

ORIGINAL POST

Hello ArcGIS community,

I am currently implementing some attribute changes to a layer (Traffic Collision) within a geodatabase. I have been trying to create a new field so I can fill the new field with information I will copy into it, but trying to create a new field leads to the "ERROR 000496: table is being edited. Failed to execute."

Screenshot (64).png

The issue, however, is that I have no current active edits on this layer and if I try to start making edits to the attribute table to resolve this error, I get another error:

"Update table row failed:[LAYER] Unexpected operation [LAYER]

Screenshot (62).png

What stumps me about this issue is that, I cannot delete or make changes to the layer without one of these errors appearing. LACo_CityBoundaries is another layer found within the same Geodatabase that my layer of focus is in, but they are in different Feature Datasets. There are no active edits with either layer going on, and I am finding a hard time finding why an unrelated layer would prevent me from making intended changes to another.

I did somewhat find a solution to copy my Traffic Collision layer and make my intended changes there, but even if I imported the layer back into the Geodatabase, the original will still be there because it cannot be deleted from previously stated errors. 

Does anyone know where I can start with diagnosing this issue? I looked around but haven't seen anyone bring up a similar issue.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
David_McRitchie
Esri Contributor

Hey,

This is quite a tricky issue so I would recommend reaching out to your Distributor Technical Support if you have access to this.

I took a look around and saw a mention that this issue can come up on layers with attribute rules. Can I just confirm if your layer has any?

You can access the configuration for this by selecting the layer in your Contents then selecting the new Data tab > Attribute Rules.

Many thanks,

David

Esri UK -Technical Support Analyst
0 Kudos