Failed to open map view

Jump to solution
09-01-2021 11:43 PM
NadaKadhim
New Contributor III
Hello everyone,

I have been working for 15 days on an important project. Every step/process that I was working on I saved it. When I open ArcGIS Pro (version 2.8) I found this message.

Please, could you help me in fixing this issue as soon as possible?
I'll highly appreciate your help.
Thank you.
Best regards,

2021-09-01_231007.png

Tags (2)
64 Replies
DianaHadjieva
New Contributor

Hi all. I ran into the same issue today. I used the reclassify tool, exported my layout, and a couple of hours later, when I decided to change the title of my map, the map failed to open. All my layers are still in the geodatabase; it is just annoying...By the way, I have the latest update.

0 Kudos
WilliamOlsen
New Contributor III

Same issue still happening to student projects.  I think it's related to using Reclassify tools in model builder.

0 Kudos
DarrylAlbert
New Contributor III

Wanted to add that I was using a layout and tried to set the layer blend option to "Hue." Also, i had exported out a layout file hours earlier as a back up in case this happened again.  The layout file is corrupt also, even though it was exported hours before the error occurred.

0 Kudos
mlee
by
New Contributor

I had the same problem today with version 3.2.2

My programm crashed without a sign (annoyingly, that happens all the time ). After restarting the whole document with plenty of maps and layouts worked fine, except the one map I had been working on.
I had to go back and find a backup where everything was okay. Fortunately that was just 15 minutes without major changes.

Usually if the program starts having technical failure while working on a layout, saving the file clears the whole layout content. Another bug, where ESRI couldn't help me. So i hope this is not a additional bug i had to deal with.

0 Kudos
RoseF
by
Occasional Contributor

This happened to us today as well -- yesterday evening, we ran some geoprocessing tools and then tried to create a Map Package (.mpkx). Pro crashed in the middle of this process.

Our .aprx is stored in cloud storage -- Google Drive -- which may have been "full". We tried Save As and duplicating the Map View and neither process worked. 

Esri -- would you still like us to submit our faulty .aprx or are you sufficiently aware of the problem(s)?

We are able to quickly recover/rebuild this Map View so we're glad it was this particular one that was lost as opposed to one of the others. More and more, it seems like working on Esri GIS projects using cloud storage may not be feasible for us. Over the last several months, we have been having a lot of issues associated with the syncing that have caused geodatabases to just stop working. We're able to recover most of the data but not all of it. For now, we're going to implement a system by which we are working on local drives and using a sync software to sync our data with the Google Drive. Hopefully this will reduce the time-sinks that these issues can become.

0 Kudos
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Rose, I don't have an answer to your question about submitting faulty aprx's but wanted to mention that ArcGIS Pro explicitly does not support using cloud storage sites like OneDrive and Google Drive. This is stated in many places in the documentation, including System requirements, Create a project, and Save a project. The syncing problem with geodatabases is one of the reasons.

0 Kudos
KevinGrootendorst1
New Contributor II

Rose - see the article link below for suggested workarounds from Esri.  Article was published May 2022.  Tim - has Esri taken any steps to work seamlessly WITH cloud storage sites? 

https://support.esri.com/en-us/knowledge-base/arcgis-pro-and-cloud-storage-services-000025605

RoseF
by
Occasional Contributor

Thanks @KevinGrootendorst1 ! We had pretty much figured some of this out but it's nice to know we are on the right track. Much appreciated!

0 Kudos
RoseF
by
Occasional Contributor

Yes, thanks @Tim . We definitely are aware of the documentation but we weren't aware of it when we started this several years ago. Google also told us that their cloud storage isn't compatible with Esri GIS work so we understand that a new solution needs to be found internally. I was just curious if these faulty .aprx files are helpful for Esri to have or not. Thanks again!

0 Kudos
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

@KevinGrootendorst1 I'm sorry but I don't know enough to answer your question. I hope someone can contribute more to the discussion.

0 Kudos