Fonts different between RGB and CMYK exports?

05-20-2022 08:08 AM
Labels (1)
Joshua-Young
Occasional Contributor III

Is it expected behavior to have font and halo thickness change when switching between RGB and CMYK color models for a layout? The issue seems to only be with labels that have a halo applied to them. I tried using labels with no halos and I did not see any significant difference in the appearance of those labels.

I have attached examples of what I am seeing. RGB produces labels where the font is thicker and the halo thinner, whereas CMYK produces labels where the font is thinner and the halo thicker. I thought the color model only affected the colors?

"Not all those who wander are lost" ~ Tolkien
0 Kudos
10 Replies
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

What is the data type of the label layer in question - are these actually labeling in Pro or are they just labels that are part of a basemap's "reference" layer?  

0 Kudos
Joshua-Young

It seems to be an issue with the labels in the reference layer "Hybrid Reference Layer (Community Maps)". We use that reference layer because we contribute to the Community Maps program and is more correct and current than what Here Maps provides for our area in the regular Hybrid Reference Layer.

I have a layer in the map that has a label with a halo and I do not see any difference other than the expected color variation.

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

ok - I'll give it a whirl now. 

so to be clear you see the anomalous behavior/appearance ONLY in exports, or also in the view when color management is enabled?

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Testing in the upcoming 3.0 beta and I don't see the problem.  I'll give it a try in 2.9.x too

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

can't repro in 2.9.3 either.  need more info...

0 Kudos
Joshua-Young

I see the issue in PDF exports and in the layout view. I am running ArcGIS Pro 2.9.3. The screenshots that I provided were taken at from Adobe Acrobat at 100% zoom and the screenshots from ArcGIS Pro were taken at 1:1 resolution in the layout view. You can see how the labels are slightly different even though they should be the same size.

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

ah ok that was the missing piece - I'll try on layout then.  I was exporting from Map view

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

I haven't been able to repro on layout either.  What version of arcGIS Pro are you using?

0 Kudos
Joshua-Young

I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.9.3. I just realized that the color management is set at both the map and layout level, and I was only changing the color management to CMYK in the layout properties. I changed the map properties to use CMYK for the color schema as well, but I still see the difference in the labels.

0 Kudos