Georeferencing CAD floor plans

11-15-2023 06:33 AM
ValentinSorg
New Contributor

Hi there!

I am working on a project, where I need to georeference CAD data for buildings with several floors! In earlier ArcGIS-versions it was possible to simply georeference the first floor, save the georeference as .wld and apply this georeference to the other floors via an "Import"-button. In the newer ArcGIS-versions, this button no longer exists.

In the solutions I found online it said, that you simply have to locate the .wld3 (not .wld anymore?) and .prj files in the homefolder of the CAD-data and the georeference will apply automatically to the rest of the data. However, once I do that and try to load the other floor plans to my map, it doesn't work (ArcGIS tries to load the data endlessly)!

I don't know if there is an easier way to do that or if I'm simply missing something out! I would be so glad about any kind of help!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
SLouq
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi,

I recently did the same thing, georeferencing CAD data of floorplans for buildings. However, I georeferenced each Cad file individually. I didn't know there was a way to apply a georeference to a batch of CAD files.

I'm interested in seeing some of the replies. 

DA_BIM-GIS
Esri Contributor

@ValentinSorg @SLouq 

After you georeference the first CAD file open the location where the CAD files are located using the file explorer. Then rename the .PRJ and .WLD3  to ESRI_CAD.PRJ and ESRI_CAD.WLD3. This will make all the CAD files under the folder use the same projection and transformation. 

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/cad/world-files-for-cad-data.htm

David