Help! Cannot install ArcGIS

Jump to solution
2 weeks ago
Labels (2)
JasonWeiser
New Contributor

Hi,

Been trying to install ArcGIS for a while now, and I cannot get it to install on my machine. I know the problem is that it's not detecting the .Net Framework and this is a known issue, but when I try the silent install, it's screaming "Access Denied" when I try that route. Can anyone help me, please?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

What version of ArcGIS are you trying to install (assuming ArcGIS Pro 3.2 or older)? 

What operating system and version is the system (assuming Windows 10 or 11)? 

Can you provide more details on the error message you are receiving?

You need to download the matching windowsdesktop-runtime-6.0.xx-win-x64.exe from Microsoft at https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/download/dotnet/6.0.  For windows 64-bit ArcGIS Pro 3.2.x or older it it is the following:

LanceCole_2-1715873965090.png

Once you download it make sure to "Unblock" the file in the file properties if needed.  

LanceCole_3-1715874558390.png

When you run the .NET installer, right-click and select "Run As Administrator".

As noted by others, ArcGIS Pro 3.3 or newer requires .NET Desktop Runtime 8.x.x.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Brian_Wilson
Occasional Contributor III

Which version of .Net is installed, does it look like this? There are many versions and you can have several installed but this is the one to look for.

Brian_Wilson_0-1715872930561.png

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

What version of ArcGIS (Pro) are you trying to install?  Pro 3.3 needs an even newer version of MS .NET Runtime.

0 Kudos
Brian_Wilson
Occasional Contributor III

Sorry, this is the heart of the matter, it's not that one at all and you probably have different versions installed to support different apps so it's not a matter of just replacing version 6 with version 8. IT IS CONFUSING.

Open "Apps" control panel and search "Runtime" not ".NET" like I did earlier!! For Pro version 3.3 you have to have the runtime version 8 and it's called "Windows Desktop Runtime" not .NET but when you DOWNLOAD it, it's called ".NET Desktop Runtime" and you need the version with DESKTOP in its name.

Brian_Wilson_0-1715885169506.png

0 Kudos
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

What version of ArcGIS are you trying to install (assuming ArcGIS Pro 3.2 or older)? 

What operating system and version is the system (assuming Windows 10 or 11)? 

Can you provide more details on the error message you are receiving?

You need to download the matching windowsdesktop-runtime-6.0.xx-win-x64.exe from Microsoft at https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/download/dotnet/6.0.  For windows 64-bit ArcGIS Pro 3.2.x or older it it is the following:

LanceCole_2-1715873965090.png

Once you download it make sure to "Unblock" the file in the file properties if needed.  

LanceCole_3-1715874558390.png

When you run the .NET installer, right-click and select "Run As Administrator".

As noted by others, ArcGIS Pro 3.3 or newer requires .NET Desktop Runtime 8.x.x.

JasonWeiser
New Contributor

Thanks everyone!

0 Kudos