Historical Moments as Default Version Backups?

Jump to solution
04-21-2023 01:22 PM
T_R
by
New Contributor II

Hello everyone, first post here. 

The manager I am under is leaving my department, and I am wanting to cover all my bases until they are replaced. 

I am wanting to create backups of my work in the event I make some sort of error and need to restore our department "Default Version" to a previous time. 

I have no access to the server, and do not believe we have many backups of our Default Version.

Will Historical Moments work for restoring our Default Version to a previous state?

For example, say I make a Historical Moment every week at the start of the week. Wednesday I make a terrible mistake, Reconcile, and Post to the Default Version, then find out about the error Friday or weeks later. If I connect to a Historical Moment before the error, Reconcile and Post to the Default Version, it should restore the Default Version to that moment in time?

If this is not how Historical Moments work, could someone explain an alternate solution to my dilemma?

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MatthewBeal
Occasional Contributor III

I'll admit I don't know much about Historical moments, but one quick way to accomplish this would be to just schedule the Geoprocessing Tool "Feature Class to Feature Class" to run. Depending on your knowledge level, you could also use this to build a basic model that would export the feature class with the date appended to it so it didn't overwrite the previous output.

If you have an IT department though, I would definitely recommend making sure your machines are backed up. Always better to have multiple points of restoration!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MatthewBeal
Occasional Contributor III

I'll admit I don't know much about Historical moments, but one quick way to accomplish this would be to just schedule the Geoprocessing Tool "Feature Class to Feature Class" to run. Depending on your knowledge level, you could also use this to build a basic model that would export the feature class with the date appended to it so it didn't overwrite the previous output.

If you have an IT department though, I would definitely recommend making sure your machines are backed up. Always better to have multiple points of restoration!

0 Kudos
T_R
by
New Contributor II

This will work, thank you!

0 Kudos