How do I edit an ArcGIS Pro layout file?

11-27-2017 02:30 PM
NathanDuncan
New Contributor III

I need to make modifications to an existing layout file (PAGX). I can find help on how to create a layout and how to import a layout, but I cannot find anything that tells me how to edit a layout. Importing the layout file in to an existing map document doesn't provide any way of editing it as far as I can tell, so what do I need to do?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
NathanDuncan
New Contributor III

No one? I would have thought there would be a simple solution.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

As you probably have read from the help topic, the file only contains references to the data used to create it, but not the actual data itself.  It can redraw if the access to the data still exists.

http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/sharing/overview/save-a-layout-file.htm

So if you still have access to the data (aka, the *.pagx loads properly), then access the project from which it was saved and make your edits there

A layout can exist outside of your project as a layout file (.pagx). This makes it easier to create templates or share existing layouts. A layout file includes the page, layout elements, and any maps referenced by map frames on the page. The data displayed in these maps, however, is not included in the layout file - only the paths to it. This means that if data cannot be found in the expected location when the layout file is opened, those layers will not draw and the data sources must be repaired.
0 Kudos
NathanDuncan
New Contributor III

Does this go for the line work, text, north point, scale bar, etc as well? I'm not concerned with the map data references as I'll be creating base templates for people in my organisation to use in printing. I take it I'll need to find the original document regardless though. I was hoping I'd be able to import the pagx template in to a project, make the minor adjustments to the linework and text, then re-export it.

Thanks for your help.

Nathan

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

haven't tried it, but the help suggests that it can certainly be used for a template for other work

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

BTW.... you had posted this as a Discussion rather than a Question...

Discussion only garner interest from people looking for a discussion. 

Questions tend to attract those trying to provide answers.

0 Kudos
NathanDuncan
New Contributor III

Ah, I didn't notice that, thanks. Looking at it now when I hit the 'Ask it' button it took me to a page to create a discussion instead of ask a question. Still getting the hang of GeoNet..

0 Kudos