How do I sum the values in a field in ArcGIS Pro?

Jump to solution
02-13-2015 09:57 AM
RoyceSimpson
Occasional Contributor III

I want to select a field in a table within ArcGIS Pro and get a quick look at the summation of all the values for all the selected records for that field.  For example, I have a field called "acres".  I want to select various features in the map, open the attribute table, show only the selected records, go to the "acres" field and see a summed up value for the acreage for those selected records.

Thanks for any help.

24 Replies
DamonHess
New Contributor II

Right click on the field in the Attribute Table and select Statistics. It will open a chart. The Chart Properties pane should open on the right, and Sum is one of the calculated values. If the Chart Properties pane does not open, click on the Properties button on the top left of the chart.

0 Kudos
MeganHicks
New Contributor II

It doesn't seem to be possible to get the statistics for shape area, unfortunately. Seems like a pretty big oversight, and I hope that gets added to the functionality. 

LisaMcAleer
New Contributor III

Seriously, for the SHAPE.STArea() field, the Statistics for the entire Dataset and the Selection are identical. It does not give Statistics for the Selection. It's like that in 3.0.1 and in 3.1.1.  The only way to get Statistics of selected records is to use the geoprocessing tool?   Or desktop.  Not sure what the prob is, but it needs to be fixed.

Bart-JanSchoenmakers
New Contributor III

I have the same problem, it doesn't show the difference between the selection and all records. This is a really annoying problem. Only solution is to create a table to get the total, or use ArcMap. I opened a support issue with my local ESRI office. 

Update from ESRI:

- This is confirmed as bug

- They suggested workaround: https://support.esri.com/en-us/knowledge-base/how-to-bypass-limitations-for-charts-using-data-from-e...

MeganHicks
New Contributor II

For everyone who has been frustrated by this (like me), use the data engineering tools instead of right-click/Statistics from the attribute table like you would in ArcMap. 

When you have your features selected, right-click the layer in the table of contents, and choose Data Engineering. Then drag the field you're interested in into the box. This method will give you the accurate sum of shape area.