How to have multiple layouts using different active layers

Jump to solution
04-04-2018 04:59 PM
ajkelsey
New Contributor III

I have created a map with different layers and I want to create multiple layouts using a different combination of layers in each layout. Is this possible? It seems that when I change the layers in one layout, or even in the map, the layers change in all layouts.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Not from the description http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/layouts/add-and-modify-map-frames.htm ie select one layer in the map, it gets selected in all the layouts.

Simple solution, would be to just open some other maps and copy your layers over to them

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Not from the description http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/layouts/add-and-modify-map-frames.htm ie select one layer in the map, it gets selected in all the layouts.

Simple solution, would be to just open some other maps and copy your layers over to them

0 Kudos
JWos
by
New Contributor II

Wow I have the same exact question/issue as you right now.

In AutoCAD terms, I'd like a way to freeze layers from a Map in a Layout.

Right now it seems like the only way to do this is to Copy/Paste the Map however many times you need and link each Layout to that map which re-creates ArcMap's one-map-to-one-layout situation anyway.

For me this is a big frustration. Just now this morning I sat down to create a Project Template for a common project my company does in which we must submit a dozen or so maps to local and state government for permits and funding. Seems like I need to make 12 Maps and 12 Layouts. But I wish I could make 1 map and 12 Layouts where the Layouts can show the Map Layers independently.

Maybe there is a way to do this with Python but alas, I am still earning my Python Merit Badge.

0 Kudos
ajkelsey
New Contributor III

Thanks Dan, that works for me.

J Wos, I had the same perspective. I was expecting the same behavior as with viewports. I have to assume that this functionality in ArcGIS must be advantageous for some reason, but maybe not. 

0 Kudos