How to import polyline shp-file for 3D visualization?

03-21-2019 05:26 AM
HaakonJørlo_Haugerud
New Contributor II

Hi,

I have received a shape file for a line with coordinates and elevation points. The elevation data is an own attribute: <Height>. I wish to visualize the line in 3D with terrain data and make a profile with terrain and the line together - how do I go around to do this? After importing the file, do I have to make any adjustments to specify that the height attribute is elevation data?

Thank you,

Best regards

Haakon Haugerud 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

from here Introduction to creating 2D and 3D features—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

2D features

Point, line, and polygon features can be 2D or 3D. 2D features don't store z-values, but you can derive them from an attribute field in a table or from an elevation surface in a 3D scene. In some cases, 2D features can be sufficient when you only need to visualize them in 3D space.

using this is suspect

Feature To 3D By Attribute—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
HaakonJørlo_Haugerud
New Contributor II

Hi Dan, 

Thank you for the answer. I was now able to use the feature to 3D by attribute on the lines. I was hoping to visualizing them 3D in Globe view, but they do not show and appear "greyed out" in ToC. Ideas?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

the last time I looked into that stuff, I looked at a quick start tutorial... I just can't remember off-hand what all the requirements are

Convert a map to a scene—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos