How to view large multipatch feature classes in ArcGIS Pro

06-12-2017 08:07 AM
DanielIrwin
New Contributor III

So I have a multipatch feature class of 3D extruded buildings across a large area (~600,000 buildings), previously I would load these into ArcScene using an AOI to restrict it drawing every single feature.  However this doesn't exist in Pro (which we are all being told to move to!), so how do I get a feature class like that to load into a scene?  Does the visibility range have any noticeable effect on the load?  It may restrict the draw (sometimes) but still seems to want to load every single feature into memory first!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Daniel,

ArcGIS Pro has "Scene" merged into it. Have you used the 3D Scene function of Pro to view and use this data? Take a look at this to get started:

Scenes—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
DanielIrwin
New Contributor III

HI Adrian,

Yes, using the local scene option but that still wants to bring in every item in the feature class I throw at it and not just those visible in the view...

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Oh, I see what you're saying. I hope there is an 'easy' option for including the AOI. Have you trying using a "local" versus a "global" scene? I am not sure if that would make a difference.

In any case, take a look at this article about using a range slider. Allegedly this can help show the AOI

Get started with the range slider—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

DanielIrwin
New Contributor III

Hi Adrian,

Using the local scene already.  The problem seems to be that although the display settings will only show features within a certain distance, ArcGIS Pro in the background seems to cache everything so that when you navigate it does not need to go back to the data source to fetch a new set of data.  unfortunately with the volumes of data we have (and the hardware we are having to run) this takes forever, the project currently takes around 30 mins to load, every time you load it.  I had a look at the range slider, but this seems to predicate on the filtering based on the range, which has to be a numeric value and doesn't really apply in this case.  

I guess what I was hoping was that you could set the application to only cache the data that is within the view, and request new data each time you move - with the scaling set below a threshold where it doesn't every factor in anything outside of the scale distance (in this case beyond a 1,000 ft.

For reference this is what I have in ArcScene:

I want to create similar (but with much better rendering of trees) in Pro, but without an AOI of some sort that's a lot of data to pull through!

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Well, that is unfortunate. ArcGIS Pro is a growing animal and will only continue to improve and be more useful. 2.0 should be out very soon with many great changes (from what I hear). Maybe there is a way to establish an AOI in 2.0 (and if not, hopefully in a 2.0.1 type version or so). Maybe rleclair-esristaff‌ would know?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Dan - I have a question to the Pro Team about the AOI tool from ArcScene and the 2.0 release now and awaiting replies.  In the meantime, I'm currently working with an early version of 2.0 but believe I have a workaround for you.  If you go into the 3D Map Properties, click the Extent item.  From there, define a custom extent based upon a current visible extent, a layer or define Top/Bottom/Left/Right coordinates.  Once the custom extent is defined, click the "Clip layers to extent" option.  This will clip those 2D/3D layers not in the extent.  The only items to draw will be those objects in the Custom Extent.

Update:  Workflow from ArcGIS Pro Team - the interactive AOI tool is not in ArcGIS Pro 2.0 and is not currently planned for 2.1.  However, the almost equivalent workflow is:

• Make sure scene in in Local View Mode
  • Press "N" and "P" (for north and perpendicular) so camera is pointing straight down.
  • Pan/navigate to your AOI.
  • Open the Map Properties dialog
  • On the "Extent" tab
    • Choose the custom extent radio button
    • Choose the current visible extent option in the drop down list
    • Check on the clip layers to extent checkbox
    • Click OK.
DanielIrwin
New Contributor III

Hi Robert thanks for that, it still seems to want to load the entire layer(s) into memory (which is a waste seeing as how it doesn't then display it), but at least once it's loaded it doesn't freak out the minute I try to rotate the scene into a street level view!  Hopefully this can be rectified in 2.0.

Dan