Import tool missing word documents

Jump to solution
02-02-2024 07:05 AM
LyonMNGIS
Occasional Contributor II

Hello,

Is there a way to embed any word documents into ArcGIS Pro?  I noticed that the Import from ArcMAP tool does not include any embeded word documents.

Is this a bug, limitation, etc?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor
0 Kudos
4 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

In short, yes, it's a limitation of Pro. See this link for more information:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-ideas/insert-of-office-objects-word-documents-pdf-in/idi-p/...

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

You can enable attachments and attach Windows recognized files per feature in a feature class.  What are you attempting to do?  Please advise.

0 Kudos
LyonMNGIS
Occasional Contributor II

@Robert_LeClair 

I want the word documents to be part of the layout, not part of a feature class.  The formatting options in Word are either easier to work with compared to some of the options in ArcGIS Pro.

Below is a screenshot of a calendar of events that I created in MS Word.  I want to add this calendar to a highway map that I am creating.  I realize I could make a screenshot of this calendar, but I images of text can sometimes get pixelated which I would like to avoid.

Thanks.

LyonMNGIS_0-1707234803604.png

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Thank you for the details of what you're looking to do.  I did some research and found there was an enhancement request (ENH-000113280 - Request to adding the functionality to insert object linked from Microsoft Office applications in ArcGIS Pro).  Currently, there are no plans to support OLE (objects linked to MS applications) in ArcGIS Pro.  

ArcGIS Idea - Insert of Office Objects (word-documents, pdf, ...... - Esri Community

Workaround:
1. Save the word document as a JPG and insert that in your layout as a picture.
2. Not a viable solution but there is an improved table element and copy/paste from MS Word to the table element.