Is it possible to apply a vertical datum transformation to a las dataset (*.lasd)?

Jump to solution
04-05-2018 06:20 AM
RobHodder
New Contributor II

I have a las dataset the uses the NAD83CSRS UTM20 datum; elevations are ellipsoidal. I am trying to transform the data to the CGVD2013 vertical datum, but have been unsuccessful thus far. I have tried setting the output coordinate system to the desired datum in the Create LAS Dataset tool, but the output elevations are still ellipsoidal. Is there a known reason why this isn't working? Is there an alternative way to apply a vertical transformation to a las dataset? Thanks!

11 Replies
BojanŠavrič
Esri Contributor

Please note that we added support for vertical transformations between CGVD28 and CGVD2013 in ArcGIS Pro 2.9. You will need to install supplementary coordinate system files, which include CGG2013 and CGG2013a geoid models and other conversion grid files. This allows you to convert heights between NAD83CSRS and CGVD2013.

I hope this helps,
Bojan

EmmaSchultz1
New Contributor III

Thank you for this. I was very confused that I could not find the vertical datum transformation on ESRI's geographic transformation list. CGVD2013 is now Canada's vertical datum standard. Will be nice when that is realized in ArcGIS Pro! 

0 Kudos