iterate feature class does not recognize shapefiles

Jump to solution
04-29-2020 03:58 AM
DeanBeyer
New Contributor II

I have a number of shapefiles (home range polygons) created in R.  In arcgis pro, I can reproject the shapefiles in batch just fine.  However, in model builder, when I use Iterate feature classes, the shapefiles are not recognized with the project tool.  The error code is:

000185: This data type is not supported

Other geoprocessing tools work just fine on these shapefiles in model builder.  #project error in iterate feature class

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Interesting.  Try this - use the Feature Class to Feature Class GP tool on 5 or 6 shapefiles.  Have the output from the GP tool go to another folder on disk.  Update the Model to point to the new folder and re-run.  Does the error message persist?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Dean - I created a Model in ArcGIS Pro that uses Iterate Feature Classes and the Project GP tool - see attached.  My model recognized the shapefile folder without any problems.  My Project GP tool output is going to a File Geodatabase - are you wanting the output to be a shapefile or geodatabase feature class?  Please advise.

DeanBeyer
New Contributor II

Robert, thanks for the response. I want the output to be shapefiles.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

No problem - for the 3rd parameter i used the open folder and pointed it a folder on disk and then added .shp to end of my %Name%_Prj name.  Ran the model and all input shapefiles were reprojected to WGS1984 in my c:\temp\test directory.

DeanBeyer
New Contributor II

Looks like our models are very similar.  The part I can't reconcile is that I can drag the same shapefiles in the batch process and it runs just fine.  But it won't recognize the shapefiles when I point to the folder.  Thanks for looking at it.  

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Interesting.  Check your Folder permissions perhaps?  Is it set to Read-Only?  I'll keep digging.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Not sure if this is relevant to the Red X issue you're experiencing but something else to double check - a Tech Support FAQ on the Red X.

0 Kudos
DeanBeyer
New Contributor II

Folder permissions appear to be ok.  Tried the Red X fixes but the model still failed with the same error.  Really appreciate the help.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Thx for the folder information.  What release of ArcGIS Pro are you using?  I'm testing this workflow on AGP 2.5.0.

0 Kudos
DeanBeyer
New Contributor II

Robert,

My AGP is 2.2.2. Just out of curiosity I pointed to the folder with the shapefiles that I reprojected in the batch mode. Those shapefiles were recognized. I'm starting to think the shapefiles coming out of R are missing something that model builder is looking for but the batch process doesn't need. The original R-based shape files have the following files: .dbf, .prj, .shp., .shp.xml, and .shx. The batch re-projected shapefiles (the ones model builder recognizes) have the following: .dbf, .prj, .shp, .sbx, .sbn, and .cpg.

0 Kudos