Key Numbering based on attributes

06-03-2022 10:53 AM
Labels (1)
IanLadd
New Contributor III

I find the Key Numbering feature extremely frustrating, I'm trying to do something simple and am looking for any help.

I have a feature layer of named buildings that are categorized based on use, ie Food & Drink, Hotels, Shopping, etc. I want to have a Key Numbering system setup where Food & Drink are orange and go from 1 - whatever, and then Hotels in green going from 1 to whatever. Essentially I want it to start from 1 for each category. I also want the number to show up in a the appropriate colored circle. View the attached image for an example. I don't want to do it all manually in Illustrator is essentially what I'm saying. How do I go about doing this? 

A similar post is here: Key numbering list placement Another way to describe what I want to do is based on the image in their post; I'd like the numbers to reset based on the color. For example the pinks would be from 1-3, orange 1, and so. They would all be in their own lists, and the number would actually show up in the circle.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
CraigWilliams
Esri Contributor

For the numbering of each category, this can be achieved by having the labels for each category in separate label classes and then each label class go into a separate key number group.

With respect to the key number symbol, it uses the symbol from the label class. You can convert the labels to annotation and update the symbol afterward though.

0 Kudos