Land Cover Shapefile Data???

03-08-2024 08:14 AM
Labels (1)
AvaFarouche
Occasional Contributor

Hi, all,

Does anyone remember using a National Land Cover Dataset in the form of a shapefile or layer, as opposed to an image file?  There are some gorgeous imagery layers for Land Cover now - but I can't query them. 

I used to have a shapefile layer for land cover, and I could separate out different categories, calculate areas, conduct queries to see how different categories intersect with other layers, etc.

I cannot find anything of the kind available anymore. Does anyone remember what I'm talking about or know where something like this is available now?

Thank you!!!

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Ed_
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

Why not just add the NLCD raster from the Living Atlas to ArcGIS Pro and convert it to a polygon?

Question | Analyze | Visualize
0 Kudos
AvaFarouche
Occasional Contributor

Because I didn't know that was possible. But it won't include field-specific info, will it? I'll try it.

0 Kudos
Ed_
MVP Regular Contributor

Yes it includes field specific info.

0 Kudos
Ed_
MVP Regular Contributor

This is what you need to add in Pro

Ed__0-1709916316511.png

Then use the tool `Raster to Polygon` and choose Land Cover under field if you are interested in land cover types/classes

Ed__1-1709916475321.png

0 Kudos
AvaFarouche
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, Ed! Well I tried it, and the shapefile just came up with one category. There's no field in the raster attribute table for Class, or Land Cover, which is what I need. It does show up in the Legend  or symbology for the raster, so it has to be there somewhere, but there's nothing like that in the raster attribute table, so there's no way for it to convert to usable info for the shapefile either. ?? 

Well, thanks for giving me the tip on conversion anyway, I'll see if I can figure something out that allows me to have usable attributes and fields.

0 Kudos
Ed_
MVP Regular Contributor

I don't know how you tried it here I have a sample converted polygon as shown below with different types of land cover types.

Ed__1-1709917713988.png

Here are the steps I followed to get a polygon NLCD for a specific area

1. Add the raster from the Living Atlas.

2. Right click on it and go to Data > Export Raster > under clipping geometry I selected the study area polygon.

3. Then use raster to polygon to convert the raster you get from step 2 it to a polygon feature class and select ClassName if you are interested in Land Cover Types.

You can then export it as a shapefile if need be

0 Kudos
AvaFarouche
Occasional Contributor

Ah ok .. Thank you!!!!! I tried just using the Raster to Polygon tool, I'll try the Export route. In any case, I appreciate you setting me on the right path!! I didn't know this was possible.

Ed_
MVP Regular Contributor

No worries and good luck 👍 and if it works for you then kindly click on Accept as solution, cheers 🙂 

0 Kudos
AvaFarouche
Occasional Contributor

Arg! It won't allow me to export it to a large enough area to be useful for my project. : (  

I did find a place where I can download shapefiles by state so I guess I will have to resort to that. I've had trouble trying to cobble those kind of things together in the past because the symbology never matches up, but I'll give it a try.

Anyway, still appreciate your help and direction, there's a lot I don't know, that I don't know about!